Thursday, July 09, 2020

A Long Awaited Day

Yesterday during our visit, Uncle Chuck asked about my brother Tim. So many prayers have been lifted on Tim's behalf through the years, and so many more people were lifting my parents before the Lord than any of us could have ever imagined. I told my uncle we hadn't seen Tim since March. He seemed sad. Before I left he said a prayer for me and my family, and for Tim too. On my way home I began to think about my brother and found a renewed longing in my heart. I told Rachel I thought it was time for us to make the long awaited visit. This afternoon, when I got out of work, my sister was waiting for me.

We weren't entirely sure what to expect aside from mandatory masks, social distancing, and a temperature check upon arrival (on one of the hottest days of the summer). The staff was kind enough to let us stand within reach of the air conditioner before logging our temperatures. We waited on the back porch while they found Tim and wheeled him out. He devoured his "small chocolate Frosty, please" in no time and then was quite certain we needed to go out the door. We feared he wanted to take a ride in the car, but he was satisfied to be wheeled down and around the sidewalk a few times.

We were outside when the nurse realized I was his sister too, not just Rachel. I told her Rachel was his favorite, baby sister, and I was the just the pesky, little sister who showed up when he was 5 1/2. "Right?" I asked him, and he got a sly look in his eye and agreed. Too funny.

In all honesty, the visit went extremely well. He was more alert than I have seen in a very long time and he looks better too. The nurse is new and she is not into giving a ton of medication. It was such a blessing to have our brother back again.
I hope she stays for a very long time.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Martha, that's wonderful that you got to visit him, and the sly look in his eye, how sweet is that? I'm thankful too that he has a good nurse, the good ones are such blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good nurse means the world. I believe she genuinely cares about these people. His appearance and demeanor are testimony to good care.

      Delete
  2. Martha, he looks wonderful in this picture. I had wondered about him, and was happy to see you and Rachel had such a good visit. A good nurse can make a world of difference. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't he? We are so blessed! The last two times we saw him he could hardly stay awake. His eyes tell the story today. And she said he was happy all afternoon after we left.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. What you didn't know was that Loretta and I had been communicating through email, as well as Cindy and I through texting, and I was already going to be heading there on Thursday, I just hadn't had a chance to mention it yet. So glad we went! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God knew. And I'm not surprised. We waited as long as we could have. It was perfect timing.
      :0)

      Delete