Sunday, August 19, 2018

He Knows Our Hearts

I have to keep telling myself that God knows all about me, those I love, and what is going on in our lives. If He is listening when I tell my daughter I want a Speedy Gonzales glass, and gives me one two days later, then He knows all about our deepest pains and heartaches. So why do I keep doubting and questioning? ...

Yesterday morning I met with a former neighbor. Outside of Facebook we've never talked. He is a few years older than me and moved away when I was just starting school. He remembers my parents and my brothers. I remember his mom who was a friend of my mother, and his youngest brother who was two years older than me.

From my upstairs bedroom I can see Don's childhood home. The current neighbors have lived there since his family moved away in the early 70's. Their children grew up here too in this once upon a time close-knit and sometimes catty little neighborhood. I can still walk around the block and recall which neighbors lived in most of the houses, see the long ago faces of the kids who once lived here, and if I listen hard I can hear the voices of children long grown up, playing in the streets and yards.

Today the neighborhood is quiet. Here and there someone is out walking a dog or working in their yard, but most of the outside sounds are passing traffic, lawn mowers, or birds chirping. Many homes are occupied by senior citizens. Some of them raised their children here and stayed for the long haul, like my parents did, or they grew up here themselves. Today's children appear mostly nonexistent, and when they do come out of hiding, it is more unusual than the norm of yesteryear.

I'm feeling nostalgic. Can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment