Monday, January 13, 2014

The Plant Lady

Grandmanita's friend Gail loves plants. I love her little "tea room" with the big windows and plant collection. A few years ago Grandmanita brought me a handful of seeds from Gramma Gail. She tossed them in a pot of dirt and voila! I soon had a pot full of pretty little leaves. Sadly, I wasn't familiar with this plant and I no longer have it. (I can't believe I got it all the way to this point and gave up on it.)

It's a good thing there is something called a "second chance". Yesterday I saw Gail's Mexican Hat Plant and it was blooming. The foliage isn't super beautiful, but there is something whimsical and fun about the flowers.

I wonder how long it takes from planting to blooms? Maybe I can find myself a pretty little tea room by the time my plant gets this big. (It's not even in the dirt yet...) I am dreaming when it comes to a 3-season room, of course, but I do have some nice big windows and maybe I could clear out a spot for a tall and gangly plant, especially if it has such cool flowers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a little bit of research, I find that in some places this plant is highly invasive. It's also toxic, every part of it. Blah.


4 comments:

  1. Plants and pots...I wish I had a better green thumb. Love the picture of the garden room.

    I've always wanted a "Garden Room" with lots of windows. There is a wonderful place to eat in Santa Barbara called Stella Wares....they have a garden room to die for. If I were a rich woman...I'd have one just like it...I need to post that picture again and dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail's garden room is pretty cold. Cold enough to probably put the plants to sleep, but not cold enough to kill them apparently.

      Delete
  2. Lucky Gail!
    Looks like you had a lovely trip...
    Get baking! Hahaha!
    Cheers,
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very nice trip. I don't know why I don't do it more often. :)

      Delete