Monday, July 15, 2013

A Cousin Visit

Yesterday was a special kind of day. My cousin Ondra came to meet me in person for the very first time. It's only been a few months since we found each other through an online memorial site to her great grandmother, and since we both love family history, we've found meeting to be a fun adventure.

Family ties, especially distant ones, can be a little confusing and I often look for ways to simplify what otherwise appears difficult to understand. Ondra and I are third cousins and share a set of great, great grandparents. We are the grandchildren of first cousins, and when I look at that in the light of my own grandchildren and my cousin's grandchildren, the connection suddenly becomes pretty simple.

Since I'd had a busy Saturday, I didn't go crazy cleaning or baking special treats ahead of time. Instead Ondra and I shared conversation and iced tea on the back porch, and put together BLT's for lunch. She arrived with gifts (which I was not expecting); a small pot of Forget-Me-Nots, a candle in a jar, and a beautiful doily she made herself. I am blessed. I was able to send her home with the old photograph of her great grandma Hattie in France.

James was kind enough to take some time away from mowing the lawn to take our picture; first with our great, great grandfather, Garrett Shafer, and then just the two of us. It was a very nice visit and I hope there will be more to come. Maybe I can even drive out to Buffalo and meet Lisa, another third cousin who loves family history. Now wouldn't that be fun?

7 comments:

  1. How nice for you...and Ondra...
    I had one cousin...not really a cousin...my dad and her dad were cousins...they lived in Youngstown New York...her name was Geri-Linda...oh we had fun in the summers!!!
    Visiting back and forth..we lost touch for many years, when she moved to California to be an illustrator for Hanna-Barbara...we got back in touch about 12 years ago...we are only 3 weeks apart in age...unfortunately she passed away very suddenly last year...62 years young..died from Celiac disease...very sad...
    Sorry for being a bummer...but it kind of brought it all back...

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, second cousins count, and finding a family connection with anyone can be fun. My son has a friend he met several years ago at church and both families trace back to William Brewster through his older son Jonathan. (They're like 16th cousins, but it's still fun to find a common ancestor.)

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry for your cousin's passing. I didn't know one could die of Celiac disease.

      Delete
  2. It was a perfect day. Even the weather cooperated. It seemed like we had been friends for years! And what a nice surprise to find the visit a feature on Martha's blog!

    Hope we can visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ondra, it was a perfect day! We'll have to do it again before the snow flies!

      Delete