Monday, September 03, 2007

Sunday in the Park


It was a beautiful day, too nice to sit home and do nothing, so yesterday afternoon James and I decided to take the kids out to Mendon Ponds for a walk. Since the park is rather large and we don't know our way around, we stopped at a little office to get a map. I hopped out, took a map and turned back toward the van just as a mother deer and her fawn happened by. (This is the only picture I got the entire day as I am still struggling with Jim's camera.) They didn't seem to be afraid, in fact the little one stood right in front of me waiting for me to take another picture, but the screen had turned black and I missed the opportunity. Oh, how frustrating! We hiked down by Devil's Bathtub (a glacial kettle) and then went over to the nature center and walked the Bird Song trail. We should have taken some birdseed as the little birds will eat right out of your hand. We also saw a little garter snake, squirrels and chipmunks. I'm looking forward to going back again. Maybe I'll take Troy so he can feed the birds.

9 comments:

  1. Okay. I gave to the cause for Teena, so where do I send the donation to get your camera fixed?
    :O) I miss your pictures!!
    Think the little critter was waiting for you to snap another huh?, do the rangers pay the two deer appear when a car stops? Funny. :) That would keep the visitor count up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Marty! We would LOVE to go to Mendon Ponds Park...maybe when the leaves are changing color! I think you'll definitely have a new camera by then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a nice park. I should go there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice day! I miss your pictures, too. I am glad you could borrow a camera, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collecting donations would be nice, Gmj, but I'm not planning on doing that. In time I'll have another camera. School is starting and I'll be babysitting again full time. Hopefully I'll have a chance to save up the money. For now I'll have to try and remain patient...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Martha,
    What a beautiful park that is! Thats a good thing to do, have you a lot of parks there?


    Greetings JoAnn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are several nice parks in the area. Sometimes we forget to visit them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool, I love the way the shadows fall as the deer run.
    Nice Picture.

    ReplyDelete