Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sun Shiners

Late yesterday afternoon I grabbed a moment to settle my new flower aquisitions. I popped them into my patio garden and gave them a tall cool drink. They didn't seem much interested in the coffee I was sipping. I think I am finished planting golds, oranges and yellows. Now my quest is to find something purple to add a bit of contrast, maybe some echinacea. And, does anyone have a good suggestion on how to help my taller flowers (mostly daisies) learn to stand on their own? They want to tip over and lay across the ground but don't look near as pretty in the prone position as they do upright.
I am looking forward to turning my backyard into a beautiful place once again. At first I was having a bit of trouble visualizing what I wanted to do, but as time goes on the creative juices are beginning to flow a little more. We are hoping to bring a small stockade fence home later this week and a few pieces of picket fencing also. A couple white picket sections will go along the edge of my patio to keep my chairs from blowing off the porch and into my flower garden.
I am going to be on the lookout for some good deals on outdoor rocking chairs. Every good grandmother needs a rocking chair on her back porch just in case she gets a grandchild who will sit still long enough to be rocked. Another item I'll be looking for is a post or a pipe to hold up one end of the hammock I want to hang under the red maple tree. I hope by the time we get things together there will be enough warm weather left to enjoy it all!

7 comments:

  1. Does Sweet Williams do ok there? Aren't they also known as dianthus something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they do and yes, they are. I had a really pretty red one but the next spring I thought it was a weed and pulled it up. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I would love to have a garden. Your flower photos are gorgeous!! And your plans for your garden sound lovely. You will enjoy spending a lot of time there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you could have James build you an arbor to put at the end of your stone walkway closer to the driveway. You could plant something on it that climbs...like clamatis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something for you on my blog. :) I made this with you in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what lovely flowers. I love the close up shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tall flower needs support.
    You can put a stick of bamboo to support the flower plant.

    ReplyDelete