Friday, July 18, 2008

A Teenager!

Happy Birthday, Hannah Banana!

Today is my beautiful baby's birthday and she is thirteen! It doesn't seem possible that all seven of my children have reached this great milestone...

... I once turned thirteen...

I was getting ready for school that second day of spring in 1977 when the telephone rang. It was for me. "Strange," I thought, "who would be calling me before school?" I can't recall much of the conversation that morning but the caller turned out to be a DJ, "Ferdinand Jay", from one of the local radio stations. Seems one of my friends had called in and let them know it was my big day. I wasn't sure whether to be pleased or thoroughly embarrassed at being on the radio before school, but I did leave home with a smile on my face. Even the Vice Principal's son had heard it on the radio. There was a mystery attached to that early morning call. Who was the friend that called the radio station in the first place? I had no clue and it wasn't until months later, maybe even a year, before I learned that it was my dear, Jehovah's Witness friend, Elena, who had made the call.

So anyway, Hannah is spending her second birthday in a row at OBC. She didn't mind turning twelve away from home and I'm sure she'll get plenty of attention today too. Bethany mailed her a package and her friend, Kara, who has celebrated almost all of Hannah's other birthdays with her, is also at camp. Today I am going to see if I can find her another yellow shirt like the one in the photograph. It's her favorite and somehow got spots on it in the wash. Dont'cha hate that?

14 comments:

  1. Happy birthday from me too! Hannah isn't allowed to be 13 yet I say. But I guess I really don't have a say in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 13th Birthday Hannah!!!!!!!!
    Mrs. T. tell Hannah that I will call her once she gets home from camp so that we can get together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah Banana ~~ Happy Birthday, Miss Teenager.
    Hannah and Kaleb my grandson both turned teenages this year. K. was on May 26th....

    Wouldn't it be fun it we lived close enough for them to be friends?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Hannah! We share a birthday month, so I say that July is the best month to be born in :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to my sweet and beautiful niece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Hannah Banana! I hope you and Kara have a great time at camp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Ms. Hannah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danke shoen.

    Yes Sherri, definately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated Hannah! Sorry to be so late, but we are very busy these days.
    I am glad to have met you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Hannah, your Mom really wanted to find you a new yellow shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday, Hannah! We have been away for the weekend or I would've said this sooner. Hope you have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete