Thursday, July 10, 2008

Off My Rocker?

I found a kindred spirit in my Uncle Chuck when he quoted me poetry at our family gathering last Friday. It wasn't the poem itself but the fact that he sat down and looked me in the eye while quoting it. I thought I was a little off my rocker (and so do certain other people) when I would quote lines of poetry, often Dr. Seuss or other silly nonesense. People are never quite sure how to react. I've been told I "need to get out more..." but that would mean I'm really "off my rocker". Following is the poem Uncle Chuck quoted me. (He had others that day, but this one was mine.)

Grandma's Off Her Rocker!

In the dim and distant past,
When life's tempo wasn't fast,
Grandma used to rock and knit,
Crochet, tat and baby sit.
When we were in a jam,
We could always count on gram.
In the age of gracious living,
Grandma's life was one of giving.

BUT TODAY....

Now grandma's at the gym,
Exercising to keep slim,
She's off touring with the bunch,
Or taking all her friends to lunch.
Driving north to fish or hike,
Taking time to ride her bike.
Nothing seems to block or stop her,
Now that grandma's off her rocker.

Author Unknown

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful!!! Good poem and I recognize that arched back on Josh. That is the "I want down...I want down... Let me crawl... I want down I got places to go ... arched back." :D I love being a gram, and you do to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took that picture! Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, its fun to have fun but you have to know how! I would love your Uncle Chuck, and I like that poem....I don't have such good recall, but some of my kids spout lines from books and movies like crazy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave's dad is constantly quoting poetry. I have to admit, I don't really listen to a lot of it because he does it so much.

    I'm like 16 blessings'mom, I don't have such good recall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Joe I like the picture your mom is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ask Uncle Chuck to quote you "Lucky Jim" some time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute and funny poem! Ain't that the truth...does anybody sit still anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw shucks... I missed his poetry session.

    I like the picture of you and Josh. Looks like you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Priscilla, Ben was telling me about "Lucky Jim". Maybe I'll have to have Uncle Chuck send me his version. I hear its better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Della, The Cat in the Hat is one of my most frequently quoted Seuss stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Martha ~~ that was great!! No I'm not OFF my rocker ~~ A gym hasn't seen me for years, and slim....I don't think so... My grandchildren need some meat on my bones to hug!!

    I have missed your posts...Julie is much better now, so taking a few minutes to catch up...

    Love and Hugs
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete