Saturday, July 05, 2008

The Unicycle (Picnic part 2)

We couldn't have a family gathering without taking Bethany's new unicycle along. There were several interested parties, Allen, Dave, Steven,... but no one has yet mastered the art of one-wheeled cycling save Uncle Chuck. I think Hiram and Harim, Chuck's grandsons, might be able to do it too, but they were absent from this year's celebration and missed their golden opportunity.
Seeing as he is past seventy years old, we thought it in Uncle Chuck's (and our) best interest that he not actually try to ride the unicycle. He did however give us some pointers on how the feat might be accomplished. Raising the seat was not too difficult and with something steady to hold onto one can even keep the thing upright..
His other suggestion? Toss a rope over a beam in the top of the barn or a garage and use that to keep from landing on your head (or butt) while learning to find your balance. I think a tree limb would also work out rather well. Uncle Chuck did feel it necessary to sit on the unicycle and show the guys how to get started. I think he wished he could still trust his body to take off riding circles while the rest of us looked on in amazement.

We all know that somewhere out there is another family member just waiting to find his or her place atop this marvelous contraption. Maybe its Steven... or Hannah!

9 comments:

  1. Good, now GMJ can see what fun the family had trying out my unicycle. Those guys sure are brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a fabulous picnic! We celebrated the fourth of July one day early at Stone Mountain in Atlanta, Georgia.

    I think Nathan left today for his missions trip. We will be praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Heather, he did. The group should be in San Salvador by now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an interesting family to say the least ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippie, you all didn't let me down! Brave and fun loving and exciting to be around and Uncle Chuck is a trouper! Thanks for getting all the pictures they are wonderful!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool. Thanks for giving us an update on the unicycle. I have been waiting with bated breath...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like fun, but I just *know*, somehow, that I could never balance on one of those things....or maybe I'm wrong...I like Uncle Chuck's suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Martha - Just stopped in to catch up on what you have been up to and I realize how long it's been by how big Josh is! He is such a cutie! Looks like you had a wonderful weekend with your family. I really enjoyed the post you did on the Cure of the Common Life. It is a challenge for me right now. I am seeking to simplify my life but feel it's just a step in the journey of finding my purpose.

    ReplyDelete