Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Red Clover

“I’ll find it!” cried Horton. “I’ll find it or bust!
I SHALL find my friends on my small speck of dust!”
And clover, by clover, by clover with care
He picked up and searched them, and called, “Are you there?”
But clover, by clover, by clover he found
That the one that he sought for was just not around.
And by noon poor old Horton, more dead than alive,
Had picked, searched, and piled up, nine thousand and five.
In my 27 plus years of being a mom I have read more children's books than I can keep track of. For some unknown reason, strange to some, my favorite books often have a sing songy type of rhyme to them. Horton Hears a Who not only has a beautiful pro-life message but it rhymes too! I can't help but think of Ol' Horton when ever I see a field of purple clovers.

9 comments:

  1. LOL!! Now I never see purple clover without thinking of Horton and You. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my Horton book as a child, although it mysteriously disappeared...you haven't seen it have you? ;)I'm still annoyed with that Mayzee (sp?) for not appreciating all of Horton's hard work sitting on her nest all that time while she vacationed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know what to get Rachel for Christmas. I found an ancient Horton Hatches the Egg book at a used bookstore in Dallas, maybe a first printing. Troy enjoys reading "Horton" with me and pretty soon maybe Josh will too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I could just hear you reading that to your children... I love children's books too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you memorized the whole book, huh, did you? Did you? I remember sitting right up next to you while you read those books to us kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The words go so well with your photo. Thanks for reminding us of Horton!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I could memorize it all if I practiced, but no Joe, I don't have it all down yet. Maybe by the time my grandchildren are grown I can recite it for my fellow nursing home buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!! I had a little old lady that use to sing the intire Froggy Went A'courting song. She couldn't talk, but she could sing this one song. When she was mad or happy she would sing.

    ReplyDelete