Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Little Bit Blue

Late this morning, while Josh was taking nap, I escaped to the blueberry patch. If not for the birds, who like to take at least one peck out of every ripe berry they can find, picking would be very relaxing and satisfying.
I hadn't been out long when I heard a small voice call, "Martha?" It was Alysa out ont the back porch, wondering where I had disappeared to. I offered her the second basket and she helped me pick for a little bit. Being just seven she soon tired of the job and asked if she could take her store of berries into the house to share with Hannah and Sara.
I continued to pick until my basket was full. Both Jasmine and Oreo were there to keep me company, each one resting in the shade of a blueberry bush, Jazz eating an occasional tossed berry. She doesn't mind bird-pecked berries. In spite of the birds, who have to eat too, I think I have enough berries to freeze a bag and maybe make a batch or two of muffins. Maybe I'll bake a gluten-free batch when Josh goes back down for his afternoon nap.

8 comments:

  1. Your pictures rock Martha! I can taste those berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love blueberries, Oh how I love blueberries.... on cereal, on ice cream, or anything else.

    I can't even imagine going out and picking them fresh... My are from Trader Joes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum. Blueberries with bowl of mixed melons for breakfast is almost as good as a blueberry muffin and coffee. lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the picture of Oreo laying down in the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. Is there enough for me to pick some this year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come over and we'll see what we can find, but hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They certainly look yummy. Muffins sound very good. Cute pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a lovely morning.

    ReplyDelete