Saturday, July 26, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow?

The past couple of days I have been cleaning out my patio garden. I have pulled tons of weeds and wild strawberry plants, dug up hoards of daffodil and grape hyacinth bulbs and feel as though I may never have the job finished. (Where is "Mistress Mary" when I need her? I hear she had quite the garden.) My son, Dave, stopped this morning and called my weeding job "a miracle". He even left me a few of his garden tools to help with the job and then looked longingly at the piles of bulbs laying out on newspapers. He is a lover of plants and the outdoors and has his own "Groundscaping" business. Of course I gave him some.

I fear I am not the gardener that my son is, that my great grandfathers were, nor can I compete with my own dad who always had a weedless vegetable garden. In spite of that, somehow there is a little bit of dirt running through my veins and I can't keep from hoping that I can someday have magnificent gardens of my own. My favorite perennials are the daisy type of flowers, Shasta, Gloriosa, Black Eyed Susans, and Purple Cone Flowers. Mix them up with some Bee Balm and a few others and maybe I can have the kind of garden that both the bees and the butterflies will love, not to mention the hummingbirds.

10 comments:

  1. I am excited about your garden for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may need your expertise when it comes to putting these bulbs back in the ground, Bethany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your Gloriosa patch! Gardening would be so much more fun if we didn't have to weed. I have some daffodils to dig and divide but I kkep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog via Apple....how very delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, I'm not quite sure what you mean, but thanks for the enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Threecollie, it's nice to meet you. I think I'll go over and visit your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are both sharing similar flowers today.

    I am going to work in my flowerbeds today...where do those weeds come from....Didn't I just do it last week??

    You always have such lovely pictures...visiting you is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking about doing a post about how I keep killing plants.

    ReplyDelete