Sunday, December 18, 2022

The Merry-Go-Round Goes Round and Round

I arrived home from my Florida vacation on an emotional high. I'd reconnected with my family, loved on my grandkids, soaked in the sunshine and warm weather, and allowed my mind and body to rest. I had the privilege of catching up with a friend who the twelve year old me never got to bid goodbye. I didn't have any trouble getting through security on my way home this time (I steered clear of oils and lotions just in case...)  and felt ready to return to work.

By Sunday evening I was not quite as ready to resume my duties in the Infant Room as I had been a few day prior (ha ha). In spite of myself, I arrived at the daycare bright and early Monday morning (although it was still dark). The morning did not go well and on Facebook I posted "It was a little bit like the morning from hell but, hey, thanks for asking." It's not trying to keep up with 7 or 8 little ones until 9 am that is the difficulty (Yes, I do have a second person when we get over four babies) but listening to the angry cry when I am already doing everything I can to take care of their needs. I was entirely relieved when the other four went to their own room and I was able to get my four down for a nap. One small child, who is extremely big, was very unhappy. Our other baby teacher, in desperation, tossed a blanket from his car seat into my room and he magically turned happier. By Tuesday afternoon he came down with a fever and it was discovered he had a double ear infection. (Always remember they're trying to communicate something.) 

I probably don't need to tell you that I crashed before the week was half over. The Christmas season is an emotional roller coaster for so many reasons and I had a few moments early in the week where I was once again overcome. One of my own kids was having an emotional struggle as well and shared a vulnerable moment in a Facebook post. I could relate and replied,  

"If I am totally honest, I feel a lot of the same, and this time of year brings it out like no other. I feel like I’m going nowhere and there’s nowhere to go. A piece of me knows it’s a temporary feeling because I’ve ridden this merry-go-round long enough to know that the high I felt last week will eventually return, and the low of this week won’t last forever. Each one, the highs and the lows, give me insight and a slightly different perspective than I might have had previous. Although my understanding of God has changed (may He reel me back in too) I know He hasn’t abandoned me."

Somewhere along the way the despair I'd felt earlier in the week dissipated and a semblance of normalcy returned. In between I took a vicarious journey with my friend Marty down the Intracoastal Waterway from somewhere in Maryland on Wednesday to Little River, South Carolina on Friday. There was some rough weather on Thursday when the storm blew through, some good looking food (I had to eat vicariously too), a beautiful sunrise and a safe end to the trip. I told Marty thanks for taking me along (on Facebook) as he moved someone's boat down the coast to warmer waters. Vicarious is good for me. I get seasick. Ha ha! Although I'm still looking forward to an actual boat ride someday.

4 comments:

  1. Overall it sounds like a wonderful Florida getaway. I miss living in FL even all these many years later.
    I think it is hard to get home from vacation and be plunged into the reality of everyday life. Sometimes that is a good thing but often it can be a bit overwhelming.
    I hope your child's situation is resolved and they find some reasons to find a bit of holiday happiness.
    Have a beautiful Christmas- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Diana, coming home from vacation is always hard. I'm thankful to once again feel much more like my normal self. I'm also thinking about my next Florida vacation. LOL!
      My child will find his way. He is loved, he is valuable, and he is growing and learning just like the rest of us. He is not alone and as long as he knows that, he will be okay,
      Merry Christmas to you and yours!
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Well said about the highs and lows of life. So glad you are doing better and that those little munchkins will get through things too. Praying that one of your own will get into smoother waters and understand where you are coming from. Hoping this Monday will be better in the Smalls room for you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adulthood does interesting things to our children. It can be difficult to watch them struggle, but the growth that comes of it when they persevere is so beautiful. May each and every one hold on and be carried through life's stormy seas. This one is making great strides.
      Back to the Littles tomorrow!
      :0)

      Delete