Sunday, June 13, 2021

Truth is Hard To Swallow

Forgive me a heavy post while I sort my thoughts...

My biggest regret in life is inadvertently teaching my children to tolerate and accept abuse. My greatest heartache is seeing the effects of my failure to teach them otherwise. I thought I was teaching them love and forgiveness. I somehow thought they would automatically and instinctively know what abuse looked like. I didn't realize they would come to view it as "normal." Instead of teaching them to choose healthy relationships, I modeled enabling, and I failed to protect them when they were abused. How often did I bite my tongue in order to avoid escalating a situation? How many times did I cover for him because of my own fear or embarrassment? How regularly did I tell myself "It isn't that bad" or "It could be worse"? Why didn't I realize how deep and long-lasting are the wounds of spiritual, emotional and mental abuse? How did I come to believe the lack of physical evidence equated the lack of actual abuse? How did I slip into focusing only on what was good in our family when in actuality so much was out of line?  The price is astronomical.

Today I have a divorce, but it took extenuating circumstances to get us here. I didn't arrive in this place without an incredible amount of inner conflict. It has been incredibly painful on every side. I have felt the crippling inability to respond, the suffocating agony of straddling disbelief and acceptance, and the fear of losing everything I loved including my relationship with my children. I have both kept silent and shared secrets, attempted to gloss over pain as well as expose it, and to be honest about our issues while not tearing down the other. It's an impossible balance and I fall multiple times on a daily basis. Sometimes I have a painfully difficult time getting up to try again.

When I walked away from my marriage, it was my desperate hope to set an better example for my children, but they were already grown. I finally saw a boundary that had to be enforced, even though there had been boundary crossings trampled long before. (Sometimes it takes my breath away when I realize the extent of what I have tolerated.) I am finally beginning to understand why outsiders are so furious with the "non offending" parent, even though I understand her place because I am her.

Where do I go from here? What can I do? It is impossible to travel back in time and do life over again, to make better past choices myself and set better past examples. I'm struggling to not make excuses for the younger me, while at the same time realizing that the younger Martha did the best she knew how to do. This is a painful process full of icky feeling emotions. My hands feel dirty but no matter how many times I wash them, I can't seem to get them entirely clean... And just when I feel utterly hopeless, God steps in to remind me that there is always hope with Him. I don't have to be an enabler. I can make better choices for the future. I can heal from codependence. I can be a better mom, grandmother, and friend.

8 comments:

  1. Yes and praise the Lord..Your truthfulness, transparency and sharing your deepest hurts and questions is the pathway to healing. You are loved by God and Loved by me.
    Yes you CAN..Can be better at all.steps forward and don't get discouraged when they falter...we won't be perfect until that final day...
    (((hugs)))
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a mom I want so very much to make their pain go away. The days of being able to gather them into my arms, to pull them onto my lap and hold them close are so near, and yet so very far away at the same time. I am doing all I can to entrust them into the care of the only One who can heal their sorrows. It is all I can do.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for loving me. I love you too.

      Delete
  2. All in God's plan and timing...
    You made me laugh with your comment on my blog post today..
    Absolutely a "Drive-In"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for all you've had to deal with, and I'm sorry my nieces and nephews are wounded. Thankfully God knows and understands our pain, and none of us are beyond His reach. I love you.💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that He is near.
      I love you too.

      Delete
  4. This world is not our home...we are just passing through...but your journey in this world has been so devistating and hurtful and ongoing. Only Jesus knows the pain you feel, and only Jesus will take it all away when He brings you into his home and family in heaven. In the meantime..His strength will carry you and JOY of the LORD can be YOUR STRENGTH. You know my heart...You know how much I love you.
    You are HIS treasured child. Hugs, and more Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come such a long way in my own journey to being whole, and I know that Jesus loves me. He has made that clear. I only pray my children will come to know His love as well and that He is their strength too.
      Yes, I know you love me and for this I am very grateful. And I love you too!

      Delete