Friday, November 29, 2019

Thanksgiving 2019

At this moment last Sunday feels like a millennia away even though it's been less than a week. Honestly, on the Friday following Thanksgiving, everything feels a millennia away. Friends were scheduled to visit, but early this afternoon they cancelled due to a family emergency. I had a headache and decided to drink a glass of water, take some ibuprofen, and lay down for a nap, and that's okay.

The past week has been laced with emotional episodes. God knows I can't just sit home for a day... (*cough, cough*) I'm coming to a realization here... Could it be God just wanted me to stay home today? And do nothing? Do you think He would mind if I sneak out tonight for a little while? Or should I take a melatonin and go to bed early?

Thanksgiving was loud and busy, just like one would expect when the house is full of children. We had all the best vegetable dishes (green bean casserole, candied carrots, sweet and sour red cabbage, squash, sweet potatoes) save one. There was no corn casserole this year. (Yes, I noticed.) Seven grandkids bounced about the kitchen and another, a little more grown up now, hung around to watch football with the guys. I forgot to take pictures until dinner was over and by then the kids had disappeared downstairs to the basement.

It seemed the day flew by much too fast. I ate way too much, even went off my new "eating plan" for the day, and went home uncomfortably full. (That is not my belly.)

 I did not-much-of-anything today, but I do have plans for tomorrow. Another friend is supposed to visit in the afternoon. I haven't seen her for years. Once upon a time her two year old and I were the best of friends. Now he's nineteen years old.

It's been a week of hard lessons. There have been tears, but through it all I know God is working something bigger than I can see or understand. He is good and I am thankful.

4 comments:

  1. I am thankful too.
    I don't know about tomorrow but I know who holds my hand.
    Your post made me think of that song from so long ago.
    God's promises are yes and amen.
    Your foods looks so yummy...
    Can you believe, I'm making "Thanksgiving " for just Dave and I today? Its almost time to put the bird in the oven.
    I am so looking forward to the wonderful fragrance wafting through the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind an extra Thanksgiving or two. The house always smell best on Thanksgiving.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Some lessons are really hard, aren't they? It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day though-with family--and that is what it is really all about.
    I hope you have a blessed weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a good day and for that I am thankful.
      :0)

      Delete