Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Couple of Matches....

This morning Hannah and I took a field trip to the fire hall with the preschoolers. I have to admit that, although I am very grateful for our volunteer firemen, a trip to the fire station is just not my thing. I'd much prefer the farm market. The children were asked about fires and encouraged to be safe around fire. The preschool teacher asked them what they should do if they found some matches. Emma raised her hand. "Put them together!" she said. The teacher looked somewhat confused and went on to explain that children should never touch matches but rather tell Mommy or Daddy to come and get them. My mind was spinning. What had Emma been thinking? Here is a three year old whose mother does not smoke. Maybe she doesn't even know about starting fires with matches. What she does know though, is that when two things match, they make a pair, and so we put the matches together; cards, socks, colors... She is one smart cookie!

4 comments: