Thursday, July 14, 2011

For the Birds

My mother likes birds. For years she and my father took great delight in coaxing them into their backyard by setting out different feeders. They had a covered screen porch where they spent many afternoons and evening watching their feathered friends visit the backyard feeders. She has a great field guide to help identify North American birds, but knows many of them on sight. I thought she might take an interest in them once again if I hung a feeder from my clothes pole where I had seen a goldfinch.

I bought a nice little feeder and filled it up with Niger seed. The result has been tremendous as far as attracting birds is concerned, but I think Mom is just as content to sit inside the house and read her Birds and Blooms magazine (or newspaper) as sit outside and watch the real thing in action.

I am happy to say that Grandmanita has taken an interest in the cheerful little creatures that flit around the clothes line, feeder, and lilac bush in the evening. We've noticed some other bird varieties, but they are not quite as friendly, and have thus far eluded the camera when we are close enough for a good photo.

Photos courtesy of Anita Teal Martinez.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad your mom has found something to watch...my neighbor gives me her copies of Birds and Blooms when she's finished.

    I love watching our finches and doves, and of course we always have a flock of sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom and Dad have always loved birds, too. My Dad spent a lot of time teaching my kids to love them when they were young:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the little goldfinches...aren't their voices so sweet? Maybe your mom will get out there eventually. I can't imagine anything better than watching them live!

    ReplyDelete