Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Path Less Traveled

Sometimes the path before us is well worn and oft traveled. Other times it isn't...

I've wondered lately at why God picked me for this job. At one point in time I thought I could do it well. My friends and family would be amazed at the ease with which I did the job. I would never roll my eyes, speak harshly, or become impatient. I would serve without complaint, give gladly, and expect nothing in return... Perhaps God's reason for choosing me was that I needed a lesson in humility. Perhaps I was a bit too sure of myself and a bit too harsh on my son when he and Leta struggled with the task. Perhaps I had no clue and perhaps I still have little.

I have failed more times, I am afraid, than I have succeeded, but no one is more keenly aware of my failures than myself, especially when others are watching. I been frustrated, exhibited exasperation, and spoken impatiently, but I have also loved unconditionally, offered (or tried to offer) encouragement and reassurance, and kept a watchful eye and almost constant presence. I'm not expecting anyone to overlook my failures and shortcomings, excuse my wrongs, or relieve me of my role. What I need are the tools and support to help me succeed, even though, and especially because, I struggle.

My mother in law said she was worried about me, that I needed some time for myself without having to worry about Mom, and that we needed to ask for, possibly even demand, help on a regular basis. Maybe one weekend every month. Truthfully, I don't know how to go about that. I scarcely have time to keep the plates spinning much less plan for time away, but I do know I can be weary and sometimes worn threadbare. I also know there is no turning back.

7 comments:

  1. It would be easy for any of us to say, "How can I help you?" But that might actually be the easy way out, since you really don't know the answer. Rather, if we want to help, we should say, "I will do this or this to help you." That would be taking initiative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning to think what I need is for my sisters to take my mother overnight at their houses for the weekend, maybe alternating once a month. That way I could go away if I wanted to or stay home without any pressure to figure things out ahead of time. Sometimes it would be nice to just not worry about getting back home on time or to wonder if she is okay here by herself. I can't take her to the mall or out to the park, even the grocery store is too much for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right there with you.
    The sister thing sounds reasonable.
    Having your house empty when you walk in the door... Oh yeah.
    The Papa goes down to the lobby to read the paper and I get to sit alone in my living room, such a nice break. YOU make his day brighter. No joking, he reads you blog faithfully and laughs out loud. Thanks for being there and holding my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fine with that, you definitely need breaks. I'd be happy to take her for a weekend a month. Sign me up for the first weekend in August. I think since she sleeps in a semi sitting up position, she should be fine in our living room recliner. Love you, Marty! Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to so much of this, Martha. So much of it. I hope you get some help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Rachel.
    I love you, Judi.
    Betsy, I know I am not alone. Prayers for you and yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sending a not via FB to you.

    ReplyDelete