Friday, July 22, 2011

Half Full?

I have a tendency, like my mother, to be a "half empty" kind of person. Though I don't think I am entirely negative, I do tend to realize obstacles rather than solutions. I am working to change this. I really want to see life and all it's blessings in a positive light. Someday I hope to be a smiling old lady with a zest for life and purpose in my days. (I am in no way suggesting I have no zest or purpose, only that I need to work on being more zesty and purposeful.)

Today, in spite of my mother's objections, we coaxed her into the van and took off for the mall to do some shopping. I took her handicap tag along so she didn't have to walk across a sweltering parking lot to reach the air conditioned interior of the building. (I do have a heart after all!) I have to say that neither she nor I did much shopping. After stopping into the Ladies Room, she parked herself on a bench to wait and watch the people walk by. Bethany, Josh, and Hannah did some shopping. I did some sitting with Mom and a little bit of mall walking. This may not sound like a monumental accomplishment to any of you, but my mother has likely not seen the inside of a mall, or grocery store for that matter, in probably a good five years at least. She stopped going into stores years ago and left the task of shopping up to my dad who was quite willing to go alone.

So, today I did the "impossible," I took my mom to the mall. One small step for Martha, one giant leap for Mom.

4 comments:

  1. Martha, that is fantastic! You keep it up. I think it is so good for her to get out:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar trick up my sleeve today when my in-laws came (my mother-in-law doesn't get out that much) and I planned a huge day of activity and did not tell them where we were going or what we were going to do until we were halfway there:-) She was nervous, but I think the day went very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great Martha...I was reading about this on your fb, and sent you a message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that was a lot of work! I hope she enjoyed it...I'm sure it was good for her!

    ReplyDelete