Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mission Impossible?

"It's hard getting old." So I've been told...

I'd really like to know if it is possible to have fun getting old. Well, is it? If so, I'm guessing I'd best start practicing having fun right now so that I'm in the habit by the time my hair turns gray and my face begins to wrinkle. What do old people do for fun? Besides crossword puzzles and word searches, I mean.

I'm pretty sure my great grandpa knew how to have fun. The smile on his face speaks volumes, as do the tattered outfit and hat he wore to work out in his garden. (Perhaps a walking stick is key... Grandmanita has one of those too... I think she might actually have a whole closetful...) Then again, maybe it's all in the attitude. "I think therefore I am... I think..."

6 comments:

  1. I think he had fun too. I also think he looks full of mischief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that his smile says it all!! Love it! I am with you, Martha. We can be fun while getting old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you made a good point about practicing it. Come to think of it, Mom always seemed to have fun when she was my age. I prefer to remember the days of checkers with the teenager down the street, laughing at Billy and Dan,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would prefer to remember those days too, Priscilla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would prefer to remember those days too.

    That outfit that great grandpa is wearing looks awfully uncomfortable to farm in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The real truth is, I am going to get old someday. There are plenty of cantankerous old people who give the rest of them a bad name. I would prefer to be smiling, old woman, the kind who bakes cookies for friends and neighbors, does fun stuff with her grandchildren, and cooks up wonderfully delicious meals for friends and family. I know "older" people who dance and ice skate, teach Sunday school, who plan wonderful daycations, or print up beautiful note cards from the pictures they paint. Some are into photography. Some volunteer. Some play banjo or harmonica, and scrounge firewood. And then there are others who actually do very little. I find that very sad. I don't know how to help or even if I can. :(

    ReplyDelete