Tuesday, September 28, 2010

One Year Ago...

It has been a full year since Dad crossed the finish line. I have not been feeling particularly melancholy, but it has been on my mind. I suppose there will be more firsts without him yet to come, but we have now already faced the major events. Maybe my biggest fear is that I will allow those thoughts and feeling from last years to dissipate. I want to hold them in my heart for the rest of my life and never forget the lessons I learned. I want to pass them on to my children and grandchildren and I want to one day face my own mortality with the same determination that my father did. I want to keep my eyes on Jesus as he did and have full confidence that all is in His control. I want my last words to my family to be those of encouragement in the faith. Last year I said he was a hero, and though he may not agree, he will always remain a hero to me.

I stopped at the store this morning and bought a card. I wanted my mom to know she is in my thoughts today. I want her to know that she is loved and treasured. I want her to be assured that we intend to take care of her and are honored to do so. On my way out of the store I bought a Mylar balloon with butterflies on it. It said "Thinking of you." I know Lucas will want to claim it as his own, and I'm pretty sure she'll share it, but I hope it makes her smile.

5 comments:

  1. I am not sure you could have a better earthly hero than your Dad:-) I think about the way that he lived and then the way that he died and wish that for my life, too. You come from good people, my friend, Martha! (I am pretty sure you are right about who is going to claim that balloon;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a hero.
    Mom seemed good today, just shocked that it's been a year already. She said, "I can't say I've had a bad year, just different." That's good to hear her say. We enjoyed the day together. She got her hearing aids adjusted and says they're much better, got her hair cut, and we enjoyed a Moe's burrito together while doing a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about you and your Sisters, and the loss you are feeling a year later. It hurts!

    I do love your new Header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a sweet post. Can't believe it's been a year! That's the best picture of your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the phrase you use, cross the finish line. What a great way to call it. My Dad was 84 when he got his medal 4 years ago. It was home coming and great rejoicing.

    ReplyDelete