Tuesday, September 21, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter J

J is for journal.

Packed away in the attic at Mom's house I found a treasure, two old journals written by my father when he was fifteen. They are a priceless treasure; a glimpse into the past and a peek into my father's young heart. Through his written words I gain a better understanding of who my father was and how God made him into the man I knew and loved, and how God works ahead of time to bless His children in ways unthinkable.

Dad also left behind a several diaries. They tell of his teenage escapades, him meeting and dating my mother, the struggles with my handicapped brother, and the births of myself and my sisters. Last year I decided to keep a journal too. Who knows what life-changing events may one day be recorded there...

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

10 comments:

  1. Oh Martha, I remember that little Diaries with little locks and keys.

    How marvelous that you have those memories of your Dad, in his hand writing, and his drawings...

    I'm glad you started a journal, you have so much to offer your children and grandchildren.

    Wonderful choice for "J"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized, too late, how little I really know about my parents. I found digital scrapbooking and am using that as a way of making a historical record of my life and my kids' and grandkids' lives in photos and journaling. My kids love it and so do I. How lucky you are to have your father's journals and diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany will read them when you are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is so much about my father i'll never know.

    i kept diaries, but they seem so banal now. guess my blog is my diary now.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys have been keeping one ever since they read one of Dad's. I tried, but am not a very good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My journal sounds "banal" too (I learned a new word...), but it is a record none the less. Maybe not very interesting, maybe somewhat embarrassing, but maybe one day it will tell a story and be a blessing like Dad's first journal was to us last Christmas.

    Judi, that is a scary thought. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few years ago I transcribed my husband's uncle's journal that he kept as a teenager in the early 20th century. There was only a sentence or two recorded per day, but what a record. Unfortunately he died of TB when he was only 16. The journal gives us context for the events and emotions that were described in those precious pages. A treasure, truly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are priceless in deed. How romantic was it when you dad met your mum?

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes i agree with Roger - I guess my blog is my diary now.
    Denise
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete