Wednesday, September 08, 2010

The Time Machine

Where did the time go? What does God do with this collection of years? Does He keep them in a bottle? Is there a journal of my life reserved somewhere in the annals of time? I'm finding myself sentimental tonight...

It was this photo that did it. Only a few years have passed since I was a little girl sitting on the couch next to this woman I called "mommy." It wasn't so long ago I placed my tiny newborn son into her arms for the very first time. It seems just yesterday she cooked up a batch of Boston brown bread for Thanksgiving dinner. When did she grow old? How did it happen?

The sands of time are slipping though the hour glass. Eleven years ago my Grandpa was dying. I went to visit him in the hospital. I came into the room and when he saw me he said, "Oh, there you are!" I almost wondered if he thought I was someone else... "Don't go too far," he told me. I have often reflected back on that night and thought "we're not too far behind."

I looked in the mirror today. I didn't see "old" yet, just "more mature." There are days when I certainly feel old and days, like today, when I am just plain tired. Today slipped by all too fast too. It was busy and full of "little flowers." I sure hope we get into a good schedule soon. I can't go without a nap every day! Okay, so maybe I am getting old. :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh that old Time Machine.

    What a treasure that picture of you mom is....

    I feel time racing by me, and I have a hard time keeping up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom looks great. I would love to see her.
    I often wonder where all the time goes too, but every day is a new adventure, with memories thrown in for our keeping. I always wish that I kept a journal, but I'm a terrible writer.
    BTW: when I look in the mirror, I see OLD:-))
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now I am feeling sentimental, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...those are sweet thoughts. I think that a lot...how the days just fly by. I can't believe how old my babies are...I can't believe how old I am! ha.

    ReplyDelete