Tuesday, September 28, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter K

K is for kinfolk.

Up in my bedroom closet is a box full of old family photographs. I'm glad the pictures aren't all taken in a studio because so many bring a smile to my face and give me a glimpse into the lives of my relatives and ancestors.

My grandma grew up on a farm in the hills of Allegany county in southern New York state. She was the third of eleven children and was about eleven years old when this photo was taken in 1916. The back of the picture says "Shafer's Nine."

I am guessing about the next photo. It looks to be several of the same group out on the farm with some animal friends. I'm fairly certain the young boy on the end with a chicken under his arm was the baby in the previous photo.

My great grandpa dressed in his raggedy coat really makes me smile. He reminds me a bit of my own father; it's the eyes and hands. Grandma said that Grandpa "didn't know enough to come in out of the rain." He loved his vegetable garden. (Maybe because it was quiet out there...)


I don't know the story here either but I'm pretty sure I could make something up. I love the overalls, the bare feet, the dirt on the dress, and the little ring on the girl's finger. She is one of my father's many aunts but I'm not sure which one.

This is a photo I asked my dad about. These two look like a couple of moonshiners, but were actually my great grandma's brothers, Herb and Charlie. Dad thought they were old bachelors but my research showed that they had both been married and were widowers. One lost his wife in the flu epidemic along with an infant son.

Finally, one of my favorites. Uncle Al holding a piglet. When my father was a little boy he climbed into the pigpen where he was once chased by an angry sow. He ran screaming from one end of the pen to the other, jumping up on the fence before rushing back to the other side. His mother came running out and saved him.

I wish I knew more about these people of my past and their stories. I love the character that shows through in the photos and find it interesting that many of my father's aunts were artists. Some even painted pictures of childhood scenes.

K, kinfolk.

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection of photographs of your kin. I enjoyed this post very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...awesome pictures! I see so many resemblances in your family & your Dad looks a lot like your Great Grandpa!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love your "kinsfolk" array of pictures and the wonderful stories that go with them. Those were rough times, but what good hard working people, who know how to live and love.

    Thanks Martha... I really like your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the ones with piglet is awesome.. I always love old photos remembering your roots through them... nice post.

    ABC Wednesday here

    ReplyDelete
  5. What precious pictures of your kinfolks.. and it is so nice that you have a little history to go with them. Great choice for K day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard the word 'kinfolk' since the Beverly Hillbillies was on tv. :) It's such a sweet, homey word...I love it!

    Your pictures are wonderful. That last one with the pig is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I knew a bit more about my family too.
    I love your old pictures and the unpretentious way they were taken. Thanks for taking the time to weave a story about them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went through some pictures with my mom earlier this year. She's 82. Otherwise, it's just hopeless trying to find out who those cousins are.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your photos and recollections. Two of my cousins created family trees for us and they are absolutely fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures and stories. great choice for K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harriet Shafer Torpey was my Grandmother (the 7th of the 11 children). In the pic. of the 9 of them our best guess is from oldest to youngest Leo, Maude, Nellie, Florence, Albert, Helen, Harriet, Margaret, and Joseph. Grace and David not yet born. There is some confusion about the order of Nellie and Florence, but my dad is sure about the rest. My dad thinks the other picture is Helen, maybe, holding the dog with Harriet and Albert in the back and Grace, David and Joseph. The two small children with the tire are probably Grace and David. I loved seeing my Grandma so young and my daughter has those shafer ears, just like her Grandfather!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karen! Thank you so much for stopping by and adding to the information. Florence, my grandma, was the third of the children. Nellie came next. My dad knew who most of the folks were but sometimes I get confused.

    ReplyDelete