Friday, September 10, 2010

On Being Born Twice

A monarch gets two chances at life. The first time he is born as a caterpillar. He has to crawl around on his belly and eat milkweed leaves and such. One day he realizes it is time for a change so he finds what seems like a good spot and turns himself into a nice little chrysalis. About ten days later he is totally transformed. He breaks open the chrysalis shell and crawls out to spread his wings. Life is never the same again for now he has wings and a totally new perspective on life...

So, this afternoon we headed out into the sunshine. Ivy sat on the swing hoping for a push. Suddenly she said, "Martha, what's that green thing?" I didn't see anything, but then I wasn't really sure where she was looking. I was rather surprised to find a monarch chrysalis hanging in the middle of my swing set. I've never found one out in my yard, though I have seen lots of butterflies and a few caterpillars. I do think it's pretty cool to find one, I just wish the silly creature had picked a little safer, more out of the way location. Well, we'll check on it every day and see how the progress goes. Maybe by this time next week my worries will have been in vain.

+ This was a Methuselah Generation Chrysalis which didn't mature until October. Check here for the rest of the story.

6 comments:

  1. VERY exciting!! I have not seen one caterpillar this year...I seriously think something is eating the monarch's eggs. Lots of butterflies landing on the milkweed, but no eggs or caterpillars. I noticed that my milkweed plants have lots of ladybugs & snails on them this year too...maybe that is what's eating them??? Three years ago, I raised about 20 into beautiful butterflies...awesome transformation over a very short amount of time...only GOD!!!
    Thanks for sharing! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it nice of God to plant a teaching tool where the kiddo's found it and can watch the progress. Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ho fun! I hope you happen to be watching when she breaks out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool!! How much fun to watch it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fabulous. I have never seen one. I hope it survives and you get to witness it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Martha, that is exciting. That has only happened once with us, but it turned out to be a large moth. It was still fun to watch the transformation!

    ReplyDelete