Friday, July 07, 2006

Hollyhock Belles

When I was a little girl there were some hollyhocks growing in the corner of our back yard. It was a rather messy corner where Dad dumped grass clippings, rocks from the garden, and other yard debris. Our neighbor had some flowers growing on her side of the fence and since they seeded themselves, there were always a few growing on our side too. Every summer Mom would let me pick a few and turn them into beautiful dancing maidens, their hair spun into a cone atop their heads. Every doll included a fully blooming flower and an unopened bud. We peeled the green covering from the bud revealing the doll's head. All around the base of the bud were tiny holes. Into one of these holes we pushed the stem of the open flower. Two of the remaining holes made perfect eyes. It was like God made hollyhocks specifically for little girls to turn into dancing dolls on a summer's day.

6 comments:

  1. Cute. I recall doing that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just was recalling that same memory yesterday. As long as Mrs. Sullivan didn't yell at us to get away from the fence...we had our little dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty cool! I never did that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered what a hollyhock was...I dont think we get them in Australia - although if we do, it's by another name - but looking at the flower, I don't think we do - in sydney at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha...you are by far an absolutely wonderful woman...for a while there was no mail here so I stopped coming by...and now a whole new group of stuff...I can't wait to read the rest...and what a wonderful thing to have for all to read...Your husband, your parents, your children.your sisters and your friends are very very lucky to have a woman such as you in their life..most of all...this woman is so proud to know you and thank you a million times over for being in my life,...but most of all for being in Chips life..getting to know you over the years...and the children and your family has been such an honour...you can never know the extent of how I feel as there are not enough words...Thankyou

    ReplyDelete