Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

Today was Thanksgiving Day. We stuffed and roasted the turkey, peeled and mashed potatoes, warmed the rolls and forgot the cranberry sauce. It was a wonderful family day. We had our whole family, minus Jim, and my parents. Every holiday celebrated with my mom and dad grows more precious with the years. We talked, laughed and shared things we are thankful for. Beth and Adam brought a new game and we worked on the traditional holiday puzzle. Before our tummies signaled hunger, we poured the coffee and served up the pie. I will likely head upstairs to bed still full and toss and turn for a portion of the night. Yesterday felt like Saturday to me, Thanksgiving always feels like Saturday, and I have two more Saturdays ahead before Sunday comes along and sets everything straight again.

Last night we went to church and people had a chance to get up and share a moment of Thanksgiving. I thought about getting up but am still somewhat reserved and so remained in my seat. My son, Dave, got up and thanked the Lord for the opportunity to lead the junior high group at church and the blessing of God teaching him as he prepares the lessons. Had I been braver I would have gotten up and shared that I am thankful God answers prayer and not only that, but He gives encouragement along the way and keeps us trusting in Him. Years ago when my son was struggling, God brought me to my knees and showed me that He really does care personally about me, about my family, and about my son. At one particular time I was reading through the book of Psalms. Each night before I went to sleep I would read a chapter or two, but one night I was particularly tired and discouraged. I didn't feel like reading my Bible. I just wanted to go to sleep, yet I felt as though the Lord was saying, "Read, Martha. I have something special for you tonight." I opened my Bible and turned to the next chapter, Psalm 132. The very first verse says, "LORD, remember David and all his afflictions." In the midst of a mother's struggle to have faith that God would carry her son through, He gave me a verse, a promise that He hadn't forgotten my boy and courage to keep on trusting. Today I am overwhelmed by the power of prayer and a God who loves each one of us in an intimate manner. He truly is good!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a thoughtful and blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Martha ~~ thank you for sharing those moments when God speaks, and we obey and a blessing comes because of it.

    Last night I couldn't sleep and it turned out to be a precious time of prayer...then I fell back asleep.

    God is Good all the time... and then some.

    Love and Hugs
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed you all today, but had a very nice day with Dave's family. I am looking forward to spending the Christmas Holiday with you all! I know what you mean when you say spending the Holidays with mom and dad grows "more precious".

    Also, to hear your story of how God answered your prayer was awesome. It is so powerful when he speaks to us, especially at those times. I'll never forget a time when I was struggling with something and was having some bad thoughts, and God led me straight to Philippians 4:8- Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesoem testimony to God working in your life! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH Martha, that certainly brought tears to my eyes. Even from here, the transformation is amazing. God is so good and it has been a huge encouragement to me just to see a glimpse of David's life. What an awesome God to have such a personal message for you.

    ReplyDelete