Friday, September 26, 2008

The Bees Are Still Busy

No wonder the saying, "Busy as a bee". The bees appear in early spring when the flowers start to bloom. As soon as the days begin to warm, they are busy about their work gathering pollen. They work all summer long. We see them buzzing about our flower and vegetable gardens, we shoo them out of our houses, and try not to make them angry by the pool. By mid-September I am almost surprised to see them still buzzing about the remaining patches of wildflowers, continuing to collect pollen.

I should be ashamed for complaining about having to do the same jobs over and over every day... I should be... But somehow I haven't yet learned not to huff and grump about that pile of dishes that appears in my sink and on my counter several times each day, or the dust film that so quickly materializes on the furniture. I haven't yet learned how to face daily recurrent chores with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. I'm more likely to let out a rather loud groan. Maybe one day I will learn the secret of the bee and just buzz through my day without any other care than to collect pollen on my feet.

4 comments:

  1. You speak "bee"? how do you know some of that buzzing isn't grumbling... "I just checked that leg not 5 min ago." "Look at all the pollen that has collected on my legs!" "now I have to go the hive and clean it off.. again!"
    Just saying... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ought to write a little book with all of these analogies you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Martha...what a great post..

    With only me and my husband...the dishes don't pile so high, no toys to pick up (except Molly's) and the laundry is so much smaller...

    You day will come..... Less work, but I sometimes miss those kids in the house.

    ReplyDelete