Friday, March 14, 2014

Tying Up Loose Ends (or at least making a valiant attempt)

I've made numerous phone calls, cancelled policies and subscriptions, and paid a few bills. There isn't much I haven't at least thought about. And then there are the seeming little things that will take a bit more time and thought if they are ever to be completed.

In a bag on the shelf of Mom's closet is an unfinished piece of handiwork. I had thought, when she moved in three and a half years ago, that maybe I could encourage her to complete the project and teach me to crochet in the process. I quickly discovered that was not to be. Mom's nimble fingers and quick eyes had grown tired. Her concentration had dwindled along with the desire and the afghan in the closet remains in the bag half finished. (It's supposed to look like this when it's done.)

Mom learned to crochet when I was in junior high school. She took a class at a local yarn shop and set the grand goal of making a detailed afghan. She didn't start out simple. No use wasting her time on that! She learned the stitches, counted and inspected her work regularly, and ripped out plenty of rows, and when she was finished she had a piece of work to be proud of.

Thirty years ago Mom gave me an afghan for my birthday. It remains a cherished possession and favorite gift. When my head throbs and my tummy hurts, I always have a tangible reminder of my Mom's love to keep me warm. My sisters have them too and I think Bethany might even have one. At one time she planned to make an afghan for each of her granddaughters, but she got tired before she reached her goal.

The three main panels of the afghan in the closet are finished. All that remains is for the pieces to be stitched together. It's as full of love and adoration as any of the other afghans, it just needs a little bit of love and assistance from someone else n order to be complete. The yarn is there and waiting, patient and still, for a pair of loving hands. I wonder whose they will be?




16 comments:

  1. I wonder if my mother in law could stitch them together. I'll bet she can. Is that Hannah's? I love mine. Dave used to refer to it as "my husband" because he said that I snuggled with it more than I snuggled him. I think he was just teasing me and trying to get some more snuggles in the process. I often grab it off the chair in the winter when I'm slightly chilled and want to take a little snooze. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe this one was supposed to be Hannah's...

      Delete
  2. Why your hands, of course Martha♥️
    What a lovely project for you to finish....and have 4ever....
    Your Mom certainly did do beautiful work...
    It would be a shame not to finish it.....
    You can do it...
    I have faith in you....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda, she did beautiful work and she was proud of it too.
      Perhaps my hands will finish it one day, or mine and Hannah's, but if that is to be, I will need to do a lot of practice.

      Delete
  3. I hope you find someone to finish it up. It looks like the perfect size to wrap around your shoulders on chilly evenings! I really love the green/pink one...that is amazingly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the afghans Mom made are the perfect size for wrapping up in on a cold day. I love mine too. It is an inspiration to finish this last one.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. How do I add a picture to a comment? They must have changed it so you can't. I was going to post a picture of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to put it on your blog. (I think you are thinking of Facebook comments. You can put pictures on there.)

      Delete
  5. They are beautiful. I too love the pink and green. I wish I could crochet. Elizabeth tried to teach me, so did some ladies at church but my fingers WOULD NOT cooperate, so I'll stick to knitting.
    I'm missing your mom, and I didn't know her except through your blog. Thanks for sharing her over these pass three years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink and green one is mine and is now 30 years old. Hard to believes it's been that long, but I've loved it all those years.
      I am missing my mom a little bit more each day. Thank you for loving her too.

      Delete
  6. I have one on my bed that matched the unfinished blanket. :')

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martha, I volunteer to assist you in completing it. I learned to crochet when I was 10 and have accomplished many projects successfully. It seems a simple matter to attach the strips together. Do you still have the yarn in the same color ? Maybe we can get together again this year now that the snow is melting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to sit down and have you teach me how to crochet, Ondra, and I do think we need to get together again.

      Delete