Monday, March 17, 2014

No Shamrock Shake

This morning I dreamed of Shamrock shakes, but this afternoon I ended up with a small chocolate Frosty instead. (It's okay, I like Frostys too.)

Rachel and I went to visit our brother this afternoon. He seemed a little bit off when we took him out, but since he is nonverbal, it's hard to know what he is really thinking. The day was bright and sunny but cold. We drove down country roads past farms and hills just like we did two weeks ago. We thought about getting a Shamrock shake but while pulling into the McDonald's drive-thru Tim started to get upset. Thinking he might want a Frosty instead, we left McDonald's for the Wendy's directly across the street.

Rachel had her tablet with her and it has a trial version of the program "Tap to Talk". One of the pages is emotion choices. Rachel held it up and told him to pick the one that told how he was feeling. He chose "I am sad." Mom was his best friend and a constant source of love. His cries today were different than the cries of frustration I have heard in the past, and though it can be hard to differentiate emotion in one who is severely autistic, I believe he is grieving her death. Today we cried together.

12 comments:

  1. It's really a family affair, isn't it?. So glad you had this time with your brother. He has a sweet face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This picture is from a Christmas Tea a little over a year ago. He does have a sweet look in his eye, especially when he looks at Rachel.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad he was able to tell us that he was sad rather than us just trying to guess. I hope he feels better tonight after having been able to grieve with us a bit. I'm really looking forward to more communication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad too, even if it made us all cry.

      Delete
  3. Oh. I am so sorry that he is sad. I'm glad you were with him. I wish I could have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all sad.
      When you are able we will all be together again.

      Delete
  4. Aw. That makes me sad, too.
    And this is why I need to live forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I am beginning to understand.

      Delete
    2. Very touching......
      I guess you 2 gals have something very deep in common.....
      So glad you are friends♥️
      Linda :o)

      Delete
    3. It's been a long road, one I've not walked for quite some time... but I'm back on track now.

      Delete
  5. Oh Martha, this made me cry. I am so sorry about your mom. I think those tears are healthy for you, just let them flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Della. I think we be crying now and then for a long time.

      Delete