Thursday, March 13, 2014

I is for Indian Village

I is for Indian Village.

It might be politically incorrect today, but that is what we called the little tract of houses where I grew up. There were four streets and they all had local Native American names; Pontiac, Seneca, Iroquois, and Mohawk. When someone asked me where I lived, I said, "In Indian Village," and they knew what I meant.

My parents bought their prefab war home on Mohawk Street in the summer of 1958. The houses were often referred to as "starter homes" because families were expected to eventually move on to something more grand and glorious, but I know of several neighbors who made the little houses their permanent dwellings. My parents were one of them. They stayed in their little house for over 50 years, turning it from a "cardboard box" into a home.

Much has changed over the years. I'm not sure if the little housing tract is still referred to as Indian Village or not. It's official name was the "Wilmorite Tract" but few ever called it that. In my heart, it will always be Indian Village and it will always bring back happy memories.

 For more ABC Wednesday, click here.


14 comments:

  1. Interesting read... Thanks for sharing...Visiting from ABC Wednesday..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see how people grew up, my parents moved twice as I was growing up. The one thing that stands out was when I returned after getting married after a year it seemed so SMALL!! We have been in our current home 35 years and I think that's a record in this day.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thirty-fine years is a long time to be in one house these days. We have been in ours for almost 13 and were int he previous one for about 14.

      Delete
  3. I think we called them "war time housing"....
    Still quite a few around, and they are cute!
    I remember where I lived as a child...
    It now houses a HUGE mall....Sherway Gardens...
    We had horses and everything ♥️
    Thanks for reminding me...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda, that's probably what they were called. It is really just a little house. Hard to believe my parents raised a family there, but we didn't mind close quarters.

      Delete
  4. I drove through it not too long ago. It was bittersweet looking at our old house. It's not looking very sharp anymore...and mrs. Sullivan's house actually looks cuter. That made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we're going to have to do something about that.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen it in ages. Maybe I'll have to do a drive by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to figure out what comes next for the little house. It's ours now.

      Delete
  6. Yes, we had those types of houses everywhere then, but they've all been torn down now.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truth is that I don't think "American Indian" IS political incorrect, for those who've ever done polling with Native Americans. They prefer neither term, but would rather be Iroquois or Mohawk. So I say you're on safe ground here, linguistically!
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete