Wednesday, March 12, 2014

It's a Blizzard Out There!

I slept in today for the first time in I can't remember. It was nice. I actually did get out of bed and look out the window at  8am and there was only a dusting of snow. I crawled back into bed and heard the wind start to pick up a little bit, but I closed my eyes and stayed put for another hour or so. When I got up, I found we were actually getting a snowstorm. (This is yesterday afternoon's picture.)

They say we had an official blizzard which means we had winds of at least 35 miles an hour for three hours or more. I didn't bother to go outside, but the news guy said the snow felt like needles hitting his face. Somewhere out there, there must have been significant snow accumulation, but like other times, most of our snow blew away or into drifts. The wind also played games with our wood stove and made the house smell like smoke. Now I am part sausage.

My niece wanted pictures of the blizzard, but it didn't look especially "blizzardy" here. I think a blizzard should have more snow than we had at our house and white out conditions. The snow should get deep and impassible. And, if you should venture out to milk the cow (or something akin to it), you should be sure to tie the end of a rope to the back door so as you can find your way back to the house once the milking is done.

School is on a 2 hour delay tomorrow. Guess I won't be sleeping in two days in a row.

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to remember that rope trick if I have to fill the bird feeder during the next blizzard. haha.

    So glad you got to sleep in...feels good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned that rope trick from reading "Little House on the Prairie" books.
      :0)
      Yes, sleeping in feels good, especially on dark, stormy mornings.

      Delete
  2. HaHa.. Betsy..the rope trick! You and Martha keep me smiling and I love it.

    Don and I slept in Sunday....that was a first, but so nice and it wasn't even snowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we'd ever really have to use the rope trick here, not unless we lived in the middle of nowhere, but it's fun to imagine.

      Delete
  3. It was quite a day...wasn't it?
    Hopefully this is it!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day to stay inside and enjoy the quietness, and we all know quiet doesn't last long around here.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. I too was disappointed at our blizzard - it seems like we have had much worse storms this winter. I kept telling Sam how I wanted the snow that went along with it - I too had visions of feet of snow. The way the snow we did get blew around I did have drifts in front of both front doors up past my knees making opening the doors impossible - thankful we had the garage doors to get out. We did get a good 8 inches of snow last night in the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could have at least had blinding snow to go along with the wind.
      ;0)

      Delete