Saturday, November 02, 2013

Work Day

As a show of support for our friend L. a bunch of people showed up for a work day at the farm. We tossed rakes and shovels into the back of the van and made the trek out to help.
Not knowing quite what to do, I decided to grab a grass rake and do some yard clean up. A few kids showed up with wheelbarrows and hauled the piles off to the garden where they were eventually tilled under. I must have raked for four hours, long enough to make my thumbs hurt and my arms feel like they might fall off. Too bad I'm not a bit more efficient or I might have finished the job. (Although I did go on a dog poop hunt as well. It broke up the monotony of raking and besides, it was on the list of things to do.)

 It rained on and off throughout the afternoon, but thankfully the colder temperatures didn't arrive until the sun started to go down. We were able to do quite a bit of cleaning up even though the weather wasn't ideal, and so I spent the day outside on a day when I'd otherwise have been running about getting my shopping done and then spending the remainder of the day inside. I think I'll sleep good tonight.


I didn't take any pictures today, but my camera was in the van just in case I saw anything spectacular on the way to or from the farm. (These pictures are from a few weeks back.)

7 comments:

  1. wow..that's great. I'm sure L appreciated it!

    sweet kitty....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was smiling, and in spite of her recent surgery, out there working alongside us.

      Delete
  2. What a great thing to do Martha...
    Spend the day helping out a friend in need...
    An excellent way to do a good deed...
    And I am sure L is thankful indeed...

    Enjoy your evening ♥
    Linda:o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day of helping and we got a lot accomplished. She knows she is loved and believed in, something she really needs right now. Going through this alone would be a real nightmare.

      We're having a quiet night this evening. Mom is gone to Rachel's for the weekend.

      Delete
  3. I was reading the verse about esteeming others better than ourselves...You were such an example of that. You are a good neighbor..Martha. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad thing about esteeming others better than oneself is that it is a constant battle. I really like myself a little too much some days. ;)

      Delete
    2. But thank you for your encouragement in the effort. Hopefully the love of Christ shines through the cracks in this old pot.

      Delete