Wednesday, November 13, 2013

R is for Resist, Refuse, Refrain

R is for resist, refuse, and refrain.

I had a summons for duty as a possible juror, so I got up early and reported to the court- house to learn a thing or two about the judicial system. I learned that a juror must not mention or talk about the trial (refuse), research anything having to do with it (resist), or even think about it at all outside of the courtroom (refrain). (Yes, I do exaggerate... ) However, I was not chosen as a juror... Funny thing is, even though I could look up the case, I can't even recall the defendant's name. Ha! So much for retaining information.

Ah, well, now I can resume my "normal duties" like chasing children and hauling my mom off to doctor appointments. It was nice, however, to sit quietly  for several hours yesterday morning with nothing to do but listen to courtroom proceedings. Part of me was just a little disappointed to be sent home, and another part was a little bit relieved.

For more ABC Wednesday fun, click here.

10 comments:

  1. I've reported several times but have never been chosen either. The system does intrigue me though.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been called a few times, but never have served either.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been along time since I was called for jury duty. When I worked, it seemed like once a year. Now that I'm retired, I'm not eligible because of where I live. Go figure. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered what it would be like to have to sit as a juror.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was chosen as a juror once when I had four boys under the age of three. It lasted a week and I felt like I was on vacation! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel quite left out, - nobody ever called me for jury duty, but my husband spent about a month on a murder trial which he found to be a real responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the Netherlands we have no jury. Only lawyers and a judge.
    It must be difficult to reach to a verdict in a group of jurors

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was called to town Jury Duty once. They went through the process and selected 12 people but asked everyone else to stay while they went through some questions with them. Then there was a nature break for 10 minutes. When one of the women of the 12 did not return on time, the judge got up and moved the clock 10 minutes ahead. Everyone in the courtroom saw it. About 2 minutes later, the woman returned, and the judge reminded her that if folks did not return on time next time, there would be no more breaks
    (the joke was on the woman but she didn't know it).

    I was not selected, but it was interesting to see the judge interacting with the lawyers and how he knew how to quickly decline excuses people invented.

    Another time, I was called for a Grand Jury, that was more intense, and that judge was even better at not accepting any excuses. We were shown a movie in the style of "Leave it to Beaver" where an adult was called for jury duty and impressed upon us the responsibility for doing this is an important part of citizenship along with voting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very interesting experience and I find myself wondering how the case was decided.

      One of the women in the group said her religion forbade her to cast judgement on anyone and she was excused. I would probably have been excused too because I know one of the state troopers testifying in the case. I should say I am "acquainted" with him, enough to talk with him and his family if we meet in the grocery store.

      Funny story about the judge changing the clock. I would have been totally humiliated.

      Delete
  9. well you learnt something from this experience. can you be called again?

    ReplyDelete