Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Husbandman

I'm tired this afternoon. It's one of those times when a good hot cup of coffee would probably help. It's one of those times where I am emotionally tired,  yet know that God is working something bigger in me and in those I love than I could ever imagine.

“Let us never forget that the Husband- man is never so near the land as when he is plowing it, the very time when we are tempted to think He hath forsaken us. His plowing is a proof that He thinks you of value, and worth chastening: for He does not waste His plowing on the barren sand. He will not plow continually, but only for a time, and for a definite purpose. Soon, aye soon, we shall, through these painful processes and by His gentle showers of grace, become His fruitful land.” -Lettie B. Cowman

This was posted by a friend the other day and it spoke to my heart. God doesn't let His children run wild and undisciplined, and just like any good parent, He knows that disappointment and adversity strengthen character and resolve. Though we are often tempted to soften the blows life doles out to our children, it is these very disappointments that grow compassion and understanding in their hearts.

8 comments:

  1. A cuppa Joe has rescued a few of my afternoons Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Kansas Bob is coming by. I always enjoy his comments. Martha this certainly speaks to my heart too. Sending love and hugs, and thinking of you as I have my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He comes by every so often with a very gentle reminder that tomorrow is Friday. So many things to pray about... Sometimes that in itself makes writing them difficult.

      So glad we can have coffee together like this.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Sigh. hugs, Winnie the Poo hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is life. Packed with disappointments, but showered with gifts. Never lose sight of the blessings because wrapped in every disappointment is a secret gift.

      Delete
  4. I hope the weekend is full of rest and peace of mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my transition weekend. It's really rather weird not heading out to the bank and grocery store. But nice too. :0)

      Delete