Friday, January 25, 2013

Paintings in the Attic

My father's aunts were painters. They aren't world famous, and they don't show up on the list of American Painters, but their artwork is still treasured. On the wall in Mom's room hangs a painting of an old mill in Ashantee NY. In the bottom corner is the artist's name, H. Torpey. It has been in my parent's possession for many years. Some of Aunt Harriet's grandchildren had never seen it.

When we moved Mom from her own house to ours, a couple more of Aunt Harriet's paintings came along, but rather than be hung on the wall, they were stowed in the attic of our barn. The other day I went in search of them and brought them into the house; two elongated, yellow floral paintings.

I took their pictures. I posted them on Facebook and tagged my second cousins. They were delighted and the father of one asked to photograph them and add them to his "Harriet Torpey Artwork Collection". In March, when they return from Florida, I will take the paintings to his house and we will enjoy a visit. I'm rather looking forward to it.

My online search lead me to another painting. I'm not the only one posting her artwork. :)

10 comments:

  1. Great treasures for sure...
    Why not find a spot for them???
    I love original paintings...
    Especially of flowers!!!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, your thrift store painting inspired me to haul these out of the attic. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. You are very welcome...:o)

      Delete
  2. These are treasures and how generous of you to share with your cousins! PS. I left a comment for you on my "Blogging Buddies" post .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing others artwork. These are lovely, Thanks Martha...BTW the bouquet in the link you gave is lovely too, so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to seeing the DVD Aunt Harriet's son in law has. A whole collection of her artwork in one place!

      Delete
  4. You and Linda are posting yellow flowers today! :) I love original paintings...those are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we just need a new perspective in order to see the treasures in our own attics. :)

      Delete
  5. There is more about Harriet Torpey here.

    http://bluefuchsiagreen1.blogspot.com/search/label/grandma

    ReplyDelete