Monday, January 14, 2013

Browsing the Antique Shops

James and I ventured out into the warm and sunny afternoon yesterday. I'd wanted to visit a local antique shop and he decided to come along. It was nice to have him for company as we browsed. I often find myself amused at what certain dealers collect. Personality and preference show up on shelves and in displays. Sometimes I am less than impressed, and other times I find myself inexplicably amused and attracted. I had my camera along on yesterday's trip, but left it in the van. Not wanting to discourage my husband's presence, I decided it best to enjoy his company instead.

Oft times my antique store browsing is just that, browsing. I don't typically have anything in mind when I go in, and I usually leave empty handed as well, but yesterday I was looking for a particular item, a pastry blender. I found an old one with a wooden handle and another with a rubbery handle that looked brand new. For those of us who like to mix up our own pie crusts, this simple, little tool comes in very handy. I can't imagine trying to make pastry without one.

Sometime this morning I will be heading up to the post office. I can fill up a one of those flat rate boxes for a very affordable rate. My little treasures are going to be taking a journey across the country to find a home in the kitchen of someone I love. Do you think she might like to make a grape pie?

15 comments:

  1. Aw. That is sweet. She will be so pleased! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday I will send you a jar of grape pie filling too.

      Delete
  2. I hope the pie filling survives the trip... :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are they going to a certain someone named Michele?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they are going to a certain someone named Wanda. :)

      Jim already has Grandma's pastry blender.

      Delete
  4. "I can feel the love tonight...." Oh Martha I'm so excited about my new pastry blend that's on it's way. You have just blessed me again, as you do so many times with your posts.

    I was thinking back, and some of my very dearest friends are from Blogland. What a blessing you are and those others that read your blog, know who they are too. Love ya all.

    Never made a grape pie, but I'm game!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica makes the best grape pies and it is her pie filling. I expect it to be delicious!

      Delete
  5. Awwww...what a lovely thing to do, Martha...
    Cheers..to you...

    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending a far away blog friend a package, or meeting up with a nearby one, is always fun. When I come your direction, maybe we can have lunch. :)

      Delete
  6. one never knows, eh???

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One never knows. Last time we went to Toronto it was to drop My Darling's aunt off at the bus station. Seven hour round trip.

      Delete
  7. Sounds yummy and I have a pastry blender just like that but the handle is not painted; just wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best pastry blenders ever! Mine had a wooden handle too.

      Delete
  8. My grandmother used her to mash potatoes. All this time I thought it was a potato masher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potato mashers typically have a long handle and a thick squiggly wire. Maybe she just didn't have enough room in her kitchen drawer for more kitchen tools. Or maybe she was just very resourceful. :)

      Delete