Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Z is for Zab's

Z is for Zab's.

About 25 years ago bottles of Zab's Hot Sauce were available for purchase in local (Rochester, NY) supermarkets. I recall the red and yellow labels and a zesty sauce that added some kick to those Zweigle's Hot's that Rochestarians so proudly claim as their own, but I found precious little information when I searched online. I did find this and this, but neither told me much and they didn't have pictures.

I tried asking Uncle Ralph, but haven't heard back from him yet. (He has some great sauces and cooks up a mean barbecue too! I like his Carolina Mustard Sauce best, but they're all yummy, and I digress...)

My search for a photograph of Zab's led me upstairs to my bedroom where a particular box caught my eye. It wasn't a box of photos but it did have a few photos in it. I had struck gold, so to speak, because finding the nearly 30 year old photos was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

When my husband and I were very young, he had a job in a cabinet shop in Fairport, NY and one of the jobs which came through was for Zab's. I believe My Darling built several of these little stands to go in local convenience outlets. Kind of like an old fashioned hotdog stand, isn't it?

For more ABC Wednesday, click here. Who knows, maybe by next week I'll have gathered a little more info on what used to be a really great hot sauce.

12 comments:

  1. Google it now and Look Who shows up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy hot sauce but had never heard of Zab's

    An Arkies Musings


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot sauce is not something I like to use but I have lots of family members who do. Glad you searched your 30 yr old box.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, Martha! We use a different type of hot sauce now, but this is so cool that you found those photos!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't treasure hunts fun? Glad you found these pictures and had a trip down memory lane.
    Sorry I never heard of Zabs either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the local brands; they have a particular character the national brands can't match.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is like a little hot dog stand...very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute...but I have to stay far away from HOT Sauce of any kind....but I'll give it to Don...he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also remember Zab's from growing up in Fairport in the 80's. I am visiting this summer for the first time in 19 years and did a google search and was disappointed it's not there any longer. At least there's still Abbot's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at least there's still Abbots, and Zweigles too. :)

      Delete
  10. In 1984, I definitely remember Zabs had opened an outpost on Marshall Street, the small commercial strip just off campus at Syracuse University. Sadly, they didn't last long, maybe a year. I think I bought a couple of hot dogs with their special sauce, and they were good. But I loved the 10¢ Buffalo wings they offered on Wednesdays. Never will forget the time I walked in and had 75, which had the kitchen in disbelief when I ordered. Ate them all there, too. I think I remember that logo. Thanks for the trip to the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're welcome. A trip to the past can be fun, especially if it involves a really great hot sauce or a super sized order of wings.
      :0)

      Delete