Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Adventures in Potty Training

I honestly found it miraculous. Rocky came back from the weekend in underpants and eager to show me what a big girl she really is. For two days we had absolutely no accidents at all and I breathed a sigh of relief, however, as a veteran mom, I know that the job rarely happens without a setback or two of one kind or another, and we hadn't yet had any pooping episodes... until today.

It is a good thing I inherited my father's keen sense of smell because twice this morning I smelled something foul. The first time I was very nice and patiently explained that "poop does not belong in underpants. It belongs in the potty." Then she went and peed in there just to confound me about how to punish or reward her. I decided to be lenient and reward the effort to at least pee where it belonged. The second time I was not quite so nice and let her know I was not pleased with the deposit. No sticker, no MnM's, and no washing of hands under running water. We used hand sanitizer instead. (Hey, some kids just like to play in the water and this was a hint offered me by someone experienced with the woes of toilet training.)

Score today; two for the potty, two for the pants. Hopefully next time the results will be more agreeable.

Update- 12:20 pm  Okay, so perhaps we're having a bit of a relapse today. I suppose I could consider this good in the long run, because I really do know that most kids have one before they are finished training. We had two totally excellent days (hooray!), which made my week a whole lot more tolerable. Must remember to count the blessings. I have baby wipes to clean up messes, a washing machine and drier for wet/soiled clothes, and extra pants and undies for one small child. Yeah, I think I can deal with this.

2 comments:

  1. Living so far away when my grandchildren were "training age" I didn't have the joy or frustrations of babysitting them.

    However, I have a good memory of my own four and the two steps forward 3 back....My hat is off to you Martha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think perhaps this was TMI for most people... :)

      Delete