Tuesday, August 31, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter G

G is for Grandpa and garden

(I hope you will forgive me for repeating a past blog. It's been a long day. The children I babysit arrived here at seven this morning, my oldest grandchild has been staying overnight since Friday, and my other two grandsons were here for the evening. I am exhausted!)

July 22, 2009

Mr. McGregor's Change of Heart

"Now, my dears," said old Mrs. Rabbit one morning, "you may go into the fields or down the lane, but don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor." (from The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter)

Did I mention that my father and his garden remind me of Mr. McGregor and Peter Rabbit? It's just a little garden, tucked between the next door fence and the side of Dad's house. The side toward the road is enclosed by a four foot stockade fence. On the backyard side is a wire fence and a wooden gate. Scattered along the wire fence are moth pellets, to keep the rabbits out. Hmm... not working.

The other day Dad went out to look at his garden and whom should he meet but Peter Rabbit! He was nibbling on some beet greens. "Scram!" shouted Mr. McGreg... I mean Dad.

Peter took off running but evidently had forgotten the way back to the gate. He ran straight for the fence, probably because there was no tool shed to hide in. He was quite certain he was home free until he discovered that although his front end fit through the wire fence rather easily, his back end was stuck fast. His fat little hopping legs and hips were entirely too wide.

Peter gave himself up for lost, and shed big tears; but his sobs were overheard by Dad. (Mr. McGregor's wife had put Peter's father into a pie, and I'm pretty sure Peter thought Dad had the same idea.) The poor little bunny was much too frightened to back out of the fence the way he had gone in (this part of the story reminds me a bit of Pooh Bear) and it was impossible for him to pass through going forward.

In Dad's younger days he had been a hunter. He's hunted down and eaten all kinds of critters; frogs, turtle, squirrels, rabbit... I wonder if it ever crossed his mind that he could have a free meal? Evidently he has become rather fond of the little creatures that visit and live in his yard, because rather than fetch himself a meal, he headed to the garage for a pair of wire cutters.

Peter screamed and hollered when Dad touched him, but took of like a shot as soon as his back legs were free. Peter never stopped running or looked behind him till he got home to wherever it is he lives. I don't suppose he had bread and milk and blackberries for supper! Probably a dose of chamomile tea instead.

After watching Peter run across the yard, Dad turned back to look at his garden and there sat Peter's cousin, Little Benjamin Bunny. "Scram!" shouted Dad, and Little Benjamin took off like a shot. Lucky for him he was smaller than Peter!

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

9 comments:

  1. I never tire of Beatrix Potter's tales, especially when relived through your Dad...

    Love the pictures and your wonderful story telling, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a fun post! Great photos, and I love Beatrix Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, to paraphrase an old NBC ad, it's new to me. I've read Peter Rabbit to my daughter

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great take on the letter G. I enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you republished this delightful story, because I missed it the first time around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story. Glad that Peter made the home run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...I never get tired of Peter Rabbit! Hope tomorrow is smooth and easy. :) I need a day like that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great 'G' post. Thanks for joining us for ABC Wednesday.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely story, Martha! When I was in the Lake District I bought some books by Beatrix Potter.

    ReplyDelete