Sunday, August 15, 2010

Corn Cob Dolls

I made a decision. I know some of you are amazed because I really am very indecisive in many instances. Indecisiveness is quite possibly the reason for my lack of enthusiasm and also why I am slow to accomplish any great and wondrous feats. In spite of my shortcoming, I decided that I should attempt to gather my family for dinner once a month. Last night the gang arrived to eat and play together. We had a group of fifteen including my mom and our little ones.

Summer in upstate NY means sweet corn, lots of it. The more corn on the cob we can get our hands on, the better. I have eaten corn on the cob in other locations, but rarely is it the wonderfully sweet treat that we know around here. One ear is never quite enough. Slathered in butter and sprinkled with salt, it is almost good enough to be dessert. Of course we cooked chicken on the grill, enjoyed baked beans, and mashed potatoes as well. After dinner there was ice cream and elderberry pie for those who wanted it. It turned out to be a nice evening.

11 comments:

  1. Mmm is right...one of my favorite things about summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Martha, how could it not have been a good time? Family and grilled chicken and FRESH CORN! The corn here has been especially sweet and delicious this year. The season is so short, we really should just eat it every day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that? I just got a pic of our Great grand baby, josh eating his first ear of corn.. sweet corn cob cubbies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful plan to get everyone together once a month. It looks like a fun time. We love corn on the cob although sadly, we haven't had any this year. I have no idea why and will have to rectify that situation soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good decision!

    B. always puts in at least two plantings of our sweet corn. I think the second planting is close to being ready!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always ends up a great time when family gets together! Corn has been phenomenal this year! It's been a great summer! Your babies sure are cute:-)Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous idea!! I love the pictures of the boys eating corn:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martha...what a great idea. I really need to think about doing that for my family on a regular basis.

    I can just feel the butter dripping off my chin.... oh yummmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All these comments are making me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds yummy! I love the pictures of Lucas and Josh. :)

    ReplyDelete