Tuesday, August 10, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter D

D is for Dads and daughters, both of which I find delightful.

(I can not keep my eyes open with a flash, so you will need to forgive me for the photo. I tried, I really did... )
I am convinced I had one of the best dad's the world ever had to offer. He loved each and every one of us unconditionally and showed it in more ways than I can share here. His music kept us singing, his drawing kept us smiling, and his stories never failed to make us laugh. His love of faith and family is a lasting tribute to the man God made him. I am humbled to be called his daughter and inspired by his example.

I have two beautiful daughters. They were born nearly ten years apart with three brothers in between. Bethany prayed earnestly for a little sister and found herself in tears when her brother Benjamin was born. (She recovered quickly...) I'm sure she first felt God had let her down, but 20 months later a little sister came into our home, and Bethany's heartfelt child-like prayer was answered. Hannah loved to play with dolls as a little girl, attempted almost anything her older brothers tried, and grew faster than any child I have ever known. She is a blessing.

While Hannah completed our family, Bethany came into the world making us a family of five. For many years she was surrounded completely by brothers. No wonder she prayed for a sister! Bethany is competitive in a different way than her sister. She never cared much to play with dolls, but loved to run and play with her brothers, visit with friends, and help around the house. She does well at most anything she puts her heart and mind to and is an inspiration to many. She loves people and serving others, and does it with a smile. I think maybe she is a bit like her grandpa that way.


To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

14 comments:

  1. OK, Martha, I give you first prize... I can't think of better "D's"

    Of course I'm not in charge of prizes, but if I were....you'd get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was a prize.

    (I love you, Wanda.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post about your daddy and duaghter. wonderful Ds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely.

    I love my daughter, too.


    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very touching post for the letter D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very moving post - I lost my Dad in 1986 so I must admit I had tears in my eyes. I will be posting my special tribute to my dad on Friday.

    Thanks so much
    Denise
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  7. two lovely words for D.. nice post Martha..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dad and Daughters, what a sweet and perfect tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very heartfelt post! I had no sisters, nor daughters. I have a family of men!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely tribute, first to your father and then to your daughters. I regret so much missing your post the first time around, but glad to have found it finally. Wonderful contribution ...

    ReplyDelete