Monday, August 16, 2010

Bargain Hunter

Hannah and I went out to Webster last week. It was just the two of us and Emma, so I asked Hannah where she wanted to go. She suggested Volunteers of America. After looking around and purchasing a nice hardcover "Curious George" book, we moved on to Goodwill and had a look around there. We were almost ready to go when I chanced to glance at the children's book shelf.

Lo and behold, a book caught my eye! Without so much as a second thought, I snatched it up. I almost wish I could have seen the expression on my own face. I'm sure it reflected both disbelief and determination. It is not often one finds a very favorite book on the self of a second hand shop, especially not one highly sought after, out of print, and typically quite expensive. I looked down at the sticker in the bottom corner of the book. Ninety-nine cents!

I realize this book is considered "politically incorrect" by some, but I don't quite know the reason. If culture is to be celebrated, then this book is certainly part of the party! We went through several copies when we were children and, I will admit, it did have to be put on the shelf when my brother turned into Brer Rabbit, but it was one of our favorites to have Dad read at bedtime...

"Brer Fox, he sorter chuckle in his stummick, he did, but Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nothin'...

A few years ago I borrowed my sister's copy of Disney's Uncle Remus Stories and read them to my kids, and one day my sweet niece decided it was time to take their book home again. I set out to find my own copy and searched the pages of ebay for a good deal. It took a long time but I finally found a copy and won the auction at a price I could afford. I think I paid around $25 to $30. I checked ebay again today. Yup, they're still going for close to $100!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a find....what a find!!! I'm so excited for you.. this is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't typically find a bargain like this, so it was kind of exciting. It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please don't throw me into that briar patch!!! I hope you're keeping and not selling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that kind of find! How very fun! I remember those stories very well! I have a "Little Black Sambo" book..adorable story..that you just don't see anymore either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, Della, I'm keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy, I'd love to read "Little Black Sambo" just because I've heard so much about it. Isn't he the one who wrapped the butter in green leaves and hid it under his hat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!!! My copy is in very rough shape! I am excited about this too!

    Now to find a copy The Golden Storybook of River Bend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ebay, Priscilla. I have a copy or two of that also. (You got all the coolest books.) Once I even saw "Litterbugs Come in Every Size." I believe that one was quite expensive too. Mom and Dad had good taste I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had that story on a 76 record.. I think my brother still has it. Humm wonder what that is worth... Priceless in my heart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! Good for you Mom! I wish I had seen your face too... Now to find me a copy for 99 cents.

    ReplyDelete