Tuesday, August 03, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter C

C is for Cousin Camp.

I grew up with several cousins near to my age and we had a lot of fun together, so I like to see my own kids spend time with their cousins. A few times my sisters and I have planned a Cousin Camp for our children. It's really not much more than a sleep over and pool party at Aunt Rachel's house, but it has turned into a rather nice memory. I wonder if we'll have a chance to do it again this year? I hope the kids aren't too big for it yet!

My mom grew up with her cousins and they played together almost every day. (That's Mom with her tongue hanging out and her sister has a matching dress.)


My father had forty-six first cousins scattered mostly across New York State. Many of them lived on farms and they had huge family gatherings at Uncle Leo's house in Angelica, NY. (Dad's the little guy with his hands on his knees and his brother is standing.)

Cousins, they're like friends that last a lifetime.

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

16 comments:

  1. I've always been close to my cousins and saw them every Sunday at Grandma's. Thanks for bringing back good memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come we don't have many pictures of us with our cousins? It seems like we should have some from all those Thanksgiving dinners we had together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martha, those photos are priceless. I am not close to my cousins but I have seen photos with my cousins when we were small. I guess we bonded before too ^_^ But not when growing up. Happy Wednesday!

    ABC Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends that last a lifetime, what a wonderful way to describe your cousins.

    Great ABC Wednesday post!

    nathalie
    abc wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree with you, - cousins are lifetime friends and have shared so much family joy and history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up with 5 cousins..we played together a lot, and every Sunday we would be at one of the Aunts house for dinner and play. I have kept close to two of them, the others have moved away.

    Wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of cousins playing together! Do it! It helps them when they are older.
    Our family lived far away from our relatives. It always involved a great deal of effort to visit any blood relatives. My nieces and nephew have it a little better living next door to their grandmother, but my own children don't have anyone close.

    Thanks for sharing the older photos too.
    Best wishes,
    Anna
    Anna's Cats

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't exactly grow up with my cousins but we did have family gatherings now and then. I still see them whenever possible. Good memories, as you say!

    I love your photos. How neat to be able to pick out your parents as kids and see what they were like in those days - aunts and uncles too!

    On behalf of the team, thanks for taking part in ABC Wednesday this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I see my cousins, we have a great time, but unfortunately we never played together much. We lived too far apart for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my wife had 35 first cousins, mostly on her mother's side. I had none; parents were onlies. we come to appreciating cousins very differently.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  11. *sigh* nice pictures and memories.
    I had some cousins..
    Sadly, no more cousin camp for our grands...half of them are moving to Israel the 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have one cousin and I have never met her - she lives in Canada. I hope my grandchildren will always manage to spend time with each other, though they don't live close to each other. I'm sure your Cousin parties will carry on for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cousins are a special gift - bonding is a wonderful and wise process.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah, i am close to my cousins too..

    ReplyDelete