Friday, July 03, 2009

Oh, My Stars!

In honor of this year's In Dependence Day I am making star-shaped cookies. The plan is to frost them and make them look pretty for our picnic at Uncle Chuck's tomorrow. (Sometimes being patriotic is fun...) I love the yearly picnic in Penn Yan and look forward to it each summer. I wonder what crazy games my dear uncle has planned for this year?

At his brother's request, Jim decided to hang around until after the family fourth of July gathering. It is his plan to set off for Chicago early Sunday morning and then move on to Minnesota Monday morning. It has been great to have him around for the past several weeks and we will miss him, but his roommate is waiting and Jim has his sights set on a job in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. His friend Dan will also be relieved to know Jim is headed back home and just maybe these little girls will think it's pretty cool too. (That's Dan behind them.) They came to visit us last week.

I finished reading my Mary/Martha book about a week ago. It was thoroughly enjoyed, challenged me in many ways, and encouraged me in others. I've started a new book now, Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias. It has been a challenge to my intellect as he likes big words and I am just a humble mommy. I am used to using little words that little people understand. In spite of the challenge, I am also enjoying this book and learning. The best part is being challenged in the area of change in my own heart and attitudes and finding those scripture verses I just read in my personal devotions pop up unexpectedly in the book.

My vegetable garden is finally growing and actually looking pretty good. I'm still optimistic about having a harvest. :) I am slowly working on taming my flower beds and shrubs. By the time I finish the leaves should be falling off the trees.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad we will see Jim tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all of you have a wonderful time!

    Please pass the cookies this way!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun, looking forward to the fun stories you will have! (I'm a star point nibbler)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies look good. I hope you had a good weekend. I read the Mary & Martha book a few years ago at a bible study. My friends love Ravi Zacharias- I haven't listened to (or read) him yet.

    ReplyDelete