Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Humility

What does it mean to be truly humble? As I searched my pockets, purse, and van for my car keys the other day; as I wandered in and out of the dining hall and camp store probably looking somewhat bewildered; as I watched others search the ground around my vehicle and answered yet another question about where I had last seen the illusive item; I began to worry that I might actually find them buried in my purse or hidden somewhere inside my van. I was still checking my pants pockets when I arrived home and hoping I wouldn't find them. I already felt foolish enough for losing the keys, I certainly didn't want to look like a complete idiot for having had them the entire time. I know the feelings are normal, no one wants to look stupid, but really that is my own sense of pride showing through again. I have to feel a little bit bad for the woman who found them in the bottom of her purse because I know how I would feel if I had returned home to find a strange set of keys in my possession. I would have felt really low, especially if I knew the other party had to go on home without their car. In spite of that I don't feel at all that she is foolish or stupid. Somehow, unknown to either her or myself, she ended up with my keys. Somewhere in all of this God had a plan. Although we may never know that plan or what circumstances were changed by a set of missing keys, He does. I think that's pretty cool.

"For My thoughts [are] not your thoughts, Nor [are] your ways My ways," says the LORD.
Isaiah 55:8

No comments:

Post a Comment