Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Wherefore Art Thou Summer?

The calendar tells me this is July. The temperatures tell me it might be May or possibly even September. No need for a new bathing suit or window fan this year. As long as my sweatshirt is within reach I'll be all set.

I decided, for fun, to see what was happening on this date in years past and found that last July 8 I met Gudl for the very first time. We shared some dessert at her house and then headed down to the beach at Canandaigua lake for some fun in the water. It was a lovely summer day! On July 8, 2007 I was snapping pictures of Monarch caterpillars and fighting off Japanese beetles. I haven't seen either one yet this year. Finally, on the 7th of July 2006 I was making Hollyhock dolls and enjoying the sunshiney weather. There won't be many hollyhock belles this summer as we just pulled out some rather weedy looking hollyhock plants from in front of James' barn. They just weren't looking pretty this time around.

Josiah fired up the wood splitter yesterday afternoon and while he split wood, I stacked it in a pile. It was good weather for working outside. Warm enough to be out but not so hot that one wanted to collapse. We've also been pulling weeds, trimming bushes, and trying to keep up with our ever-growing lawn. The sun is shining today but I was in for most of it, tending to Lucas. He'll be back again tomorrow and then we're to Friday already. On Friday night I get my van back! I can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys are busy.

    No Japanese Beetles over there? Now how did you manage that? Steven and Michael have been pulling them off our trees, putting them in soapy water, dumping them in the toilet, and peeing on them. It's gross, but I guess it's a good way to get rid of the nasty things. They each got about 100 yesterday. Steven got a bunch today too, but didn't count them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Japanese Beetles, but not as many. I remember the influx of them in 2007 because they almost drove me crazy, literally. I hope you have your van back, and are feeling less homebound!

    ReplyDelete