Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Salsify, a Funny Flower

I left the house early this morning but on my way out I noticed a familiar ball of fuzz in my garden and took my camera around for a closer look. I was surprised to find not only the seed ball and a closed bloom but also a blossom. Very unusual...

Also known as Goat's Beard or Oyster Plant, the purple variety is native to Europe and Asia and its root is actually edible. They are said to taste something like oysters. The yellow variety, also known as Western Salsify and native to southern Europe, apparently has also spread across North America but is not generally regarded as edible. (Too bad, no sandwiches for me.)

I posted a photo of this plant once before but had never seen the blossom until this morning. By the time I returned this afternoon the blossom was closed up tight. I don't suppose they will ever grace a bouquet, but it was kind of fun and different to find it blooming in my garden today.

No comments:

Post a Comment