Monday, July 20, 2009

The Berry Blues

Blueberries usually ripen right around Hannah's birthday so yesterday afternoon I wandered down to the blueberry patch with several berry boxes in hand. I must have stood out there for a couple of hours plucking them off the branches and dropping them into my containers. A few have been bird-pecked but overall they looked pretty good.

I picked about seven quarts of the slightly sweet but somewhat sour fruits. I'm not quite sure whether to put the boxes out front to sell, call my friends to come pick, or pop the now bagged fruits into the freezer for tossing into pies and muffins later on. They are best eaten fresh, and since the patch is looking a bit happier this year, I should probably share.

This morning I am feeling a bit "out of it". I'm never entirely sure what my body is rebelling against but I feel like an allergic cloud has descended upon me; achy, slight headache, and generally tired. I suppose the thing to do is to is to take my antihistamines and an ibuprofen and go on with my day. There are tasks to be accomplished, a little boy who needs attention, and... more berries to pick.

7 comments:

  1. Blueberries grow well in Mississippi. We had several great bushes before Hurricane Katrina wiped them out (and a few other important things...). A patient of my hubby's keeps us supplied these days. There are few desserts better than warm blueberry crunch with ice cream or even blueberry muffins hot from the oven (I dip the tops in melted butter and roll them in sugar for extra vitamins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warm blueberry crumb cake with some chocolate/vanilla ice cream is wonderful also! Hannah made some tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need blueberries (dr's orders). Wedding this weekend. Maybe sometime next week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a plan, Priscilla. I'll have some iced tea ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THose blueberries look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll trade you giant snow peas for blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a deal, Beth. Bring them on over.

    ReplyDelete