Thursday, July 16, 2009

Giving My Life

Take My Life and Let It Be
Frances R. Havergal, 1874

Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;

Take my hands and let them move

At the impulse of Thy love.


Take my feet and let them be

Swift and beautiful for Thee;

Take my voice and let me sing,
Always, only for my King.

Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee;
Take my silver and my gold,
Not a mite would I withhold.

Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in endless praise;
Take my intellect and use
Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine;
Take my heart, it is Thine own, It shall be Thy royal throne.

Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store;
Take myself and I will be Ever, only, all for Thee.


I have been struggling again. Struggling to hold on; and struggling to let go. It is difficult sometimes to believe I will ever make it to the point where I no longer fight to have my own way in life. Letting go of myself and letting God take over... Why do I find that so difficult?

Last night, as I went upstairs to get ready for bed, I told my husband I didn't want to be stretched. Though not entirely true in the big picture, it was how I felt at the time. I didn't want any more exercises in faith; I didn't want to let go of anything old for something new; I didn't want to leave my comfort zone, I just wanted to take my ease and do things my way. I want a house that stays clean, a garden with no weeds, and leisurely strolls on warm summer evenings. I felt tears well up inside. "Why did I want to cry?"

I looked into the mirror and it hit me; the realization that I had once more become a hostage to my own raging hormones. They almost always take me by surprise, these unpredictable emotions, tossing me about and making me feel like a total basket case, but I am on to them now. I am armed and ready to do battle. (I hope.) Deep inside I really do want to let go. I really do want to lay everything down, to pour my life out at the feet of my Saviour, but alone I just don't have the strength. I need His help.

So, this morning I am starting over again. I am taking His hand knowing that wherever He takes me will be a good place to go. It doesn't mean I will never be afraid. It does mean that He will be there. He will help me over rough terrain, carry me when I can't go on, and see me through safely to the other side.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same feelings at times. Life is just not easy. "In this world you WILL have troubles...." And we will overcome, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. poor baby. God also gave you those hormones.
    It's like tempering metal isn't it? put it in the fire, take it out and hammer it in to shape, repeat and repeat and repeat, plunge it in cold water and hope you have something that will serve to the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He knew we would often have to start over...that's why His mercies are new every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, and what a gift that is!

    Thanks for stopping by kd.

    ReplyDelete